my 1st Guilford ax! 1st Bola stone!

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys its been a heck of a few lunch breaks but even tho I pushed McDonalds aside and lost a few lbs it was well worth it! This is my 1st ax ever after all my years of looking! And 1st bola stone! Wow I'm so thankful for find these amazing items, even after 2 other people walked my spot!

That crystal quartz stem point is a beauty, and no she isn't broken! Very strange stem base, never seem one like it before, and even captured my favorite in-situ thanks deer! Thanks for looking!

ForumRunner_20121204_192110.png

ForumRunner_20121204_192116.png

ForumRunner_20121204_192137.png

ForumRunner_20121204_192157.png

ForumRunner_20121204_192209.png

ForumRunner_20121204_192230.png

ForumRunner_20121204_192306.png

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer man! You've got your area wired. Hitting it like that on a lunch break.. over and over is no fluke. Getum brudda! You just don't see dimple stones posted very often. Killer!

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I love that old quartz piece. Honestly, I can't id that one, but it's awesome. The axe is different. Let's see some more angles of it, please. Those finds beat the Mcgurggles any day!!

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy said:
Killer man! You've got your area wired. Hitting it like that on a lunch break.. over and over is no fluke. Getum brudda! You just don't see dimple stones posted very often. Killer!

I have that placed mapped out like a computer board! You just wait until april you will see

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see the bolo on both sides if you dont mind. I have never found one before.

theonlinefisherman

Aug 10, 2012
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
I am a digger of stone, bone, coral, and shell.
I am starting to work on a web site and could really use some In Situ imagery. Eventually we might be giving prizes of a papered artifact for picture of the month. I will keep the forum aware of what is going on but it looks really good. It is an educational site for dealers and collectors both.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theonlinefisherman said:
I am starting to work on a web site and could really use some In Situ imagery. Eventually we might be giving prizes of a papered artifact for picture of the month. I will keep the forum aware of what is going on but it looks really good. It is an educational site for dealers and collectors both.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

That sounds awesome would love to join in!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdpointgriswold said:
I have that placed mapped out like a computer board! You just wait until april you will see

Counting the days.

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must tell you Gatorboy gave me the ID on it, I picked it up a knew it was different....I've never seen a bola stone before and after a little research it looks pretty legit to me. There is a smaller dimple on the other side but not as much on the main dimple side

ForumRunner_20121204_200040.png

ForumRunner_20121204_200046.png

ForumRunner_20121204_200051.png

ForumRunner_20121204_200059.png

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is nice to me. I am not sure cause I have never found one before. You got some good artifacts in that trip. Find any scrapers? I did

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock said:
Well it is nice to me. I am not sure cause I have never found one before. You got some good artifacts in that trip. Find any scrapers? I did

I always find scrapers I don't even post them anymore unless they are really unique

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts and at lunch. So is the dimple stone a platform stone for working things? I have several and have yet to hear a food explananation. I always thought they were like a third hand or mini vise. Is this what you are thinking? I used to not pick them up but now check everything for the dimples. Sweet and clear on that quartz.

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:
Great hunts and at lunch. So is the dimple stone a platform stone for working things? I have several and have yet to hear a food explananation. I always thought they were like a third hand or mini vise. Is this what you are thinking? I used to not pick them up but now check everything for the dimples. Sweet and clear on that quartz.

Gatorboy told me it was a bola stone, there were 2 stones tied around ropes, and thrown at the animals feet to cause them to trip.

IMG-20121204-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20121204-WA0014.jpg

These are pictures from google

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:

Yeah I was stoked about that quartz never seen one with a base like that. Makes me wonder if it was a broken base from a palmer or lecroy and they reworked the base

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area I think Bolas are more oval in shape and have dimples on both oval ends. I might be wrong though. But that one is a neat find and I have never found one before.

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
What you guys are calling a bola stone, we have always called "nutting stones" and were used to place nuts in the dimple and crack them open. Not sure if that's 100% accurate or not. I have picked up a ton of them over the years collecting.

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dlos said:
What you guys are calling a bola stone, we have always called "nutting stones" and were used to place nuts in the dimple and crack them open. Not sure if that's 100% accurate or not. I have picked up a ton of them over the years collecting.

I think nutting stones are a little different deeper holes and larger rocks in my opinion that is

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread