Newly Aquired Biface

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There were some apartments built in Roseburg, OR, near the Umpqua River, but above the historic flood plain, which is where this artifact was found. When the land was leveled for the apartment buildings, this biface was turned up. It was recently given to me by my friend and apartment owner. It's made from obsidian which isn't a local stone, so it had to be packed in from quite a distance. The river is named after the Indians that live locally, so this would be an artifact of the Umpqua tribe. It's interesting to note that one of Jed Smith's men left a journal, and he phonetically spelled the local Indians "Oomp Quak," which might be closer to the proper pronunciation. The point is broken off at the back, or attachment point, and it's hard to figure if it was a knife or lance point, but it is one of the larger bi-face's that I have in my collection. The main food of the local Indians was camas bulbs and salmon. The old timers said when the salmon were running there were so many fish that it was impossible to get a horse to cross the river. Of course there were deer and elk, but they were used to a lesser extent, and even though they used buckskin for clothing, they also used the inner bark of cedar trees woven into clothing, and lived in houses of cedar planks split from cedar. The points behind were found in northern California. My collectionC.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice save on that large obsidian piece. Also some very interesting northern Cal. Pieces. Looks like one eccentric in there.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big blade and interesting story. My Dad was from Pa before the war. What is the size of that blade? It looks huge.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Big blade and interesting story. My Dad was from Pa before the war. What is the size of that blade? It looks huge.

I'll take another photo of it with a ruler alongside. My guess is it's 6 or 7 inches. It's out in my shop so I'll get the picture tomorrow and post here.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only one Biface in my collection I found it this yr and it is made from black quartzite. Its a whole piece but it looks like granite and it isnt as strong though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread