BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
points10F.jpg
These points were all found by me, and there is a story with each one. The first one involves an antelope hunt long, long, long ago. The hunt was in the Oregon desert, and I was walking down a dry river bed that would have drained the huge inland lake that was in the great basin of Oregon and Nevada eons ago. There had been work done recently, pushing out ponds to store livestock water. My truck was parked by the outlet and I was easing my way down the canyon bottom, when on the west wall I ran smack into these petroglyphs. sagehen1.jpg sagehen2.jpg sagehen3.jpg The antelope hunt stopped right there, and the rest of the day was spent nosing around that site. The glyphs are in conjunction with a spring, and the man with the tractor had been there and dug it out, making the spring much larger than it was from the looks of it. Right on top or a berm there was this large obsidian bi-face. So I picked it up and brought it home. There were also rock blinds, and rock walls and flakes where the Indians had made points, but I found no other artifacts.
points10I.jpg These two are also desert finds, the one on the left was also found during the antelope hunt. It was right out in the middle of a huge flat, no water or other artifacts around any where. My guess, it was probably shot at game and he lost the arrow. What ever it got there, the point was on top of the ground. These finds were at a time that it was legal to pick them up. The right hand point is typical of the border area of Nevada and Oregon. This one was found right along side the dirt road. I needed to find a camp, so had pulled off and stopped and I'd almost run over this point. Again, it was kind of on the berm at the edge of the road, laying in plain site on top of the ground. points10J.jpg This white one was found when we were digging a septic tank leech field when we moved onto the ranch here is southwest Oregon, and the last two were found in the creek behind where I live right now.
points10K.jpg The red one is probably jasper or chert, I don't know the difference, but the small black point I'm pretty sure is basalt now that I've been corrected. The red one shows some smoothing from being the creek.

Upvote 0

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post! Love the stories, makes me feel I was there with you. Beautiful points!

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flint artifacts

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all premium points and truly great colors.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of nice photos and it's really interesting to hear about the circumstances surrounding your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread