People are starting to get fined here in ohio

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was looking around for laws on river and creek systems. i know people post alot of stuff they find on creeks and rivers but what are the legal laws to watch are own butts thanks, i found this so far thats tells what state land is.
River Law: Your river rights, for river navigability, river access, river conservation, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, paddling, whitewater, and fly-fishing.

Upvote 0

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that sucks I am moving back to ohio this August

bristowboy

Feb 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came off of one of the sites I hunt last week and 2 conservation officers snuck up behind me. I have a small past with these guys and they congratulated me on my finds. God I am glad they aren't pricks! For laughs, one of them told me that the other one has 40 credit hours in beautician school LOL. =]

I asked them about the laws regarding the river. After they told me the riverbanks are private I told them they better check into it a little better. According to Indiana law, any stream that was navigable prior to Indiana becoming a state is held in public trust. The banks are supposed to be public property up to the "normal high water line". I take that as being the top of the bank. I spent countless hours researching the subject. And I also talked to DNR officials on the matter. That's why I let those CO's know they need to look into the laws a little better. :D

And for the record, I am 28 years old. And I am also older than both of those guys. :P

AND I'm talkin about Indiana. That's where I live. =]

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I read an article regarding meth heads hunting, and more or less robbing graves as a means of putting their hyper focused "high" to use, and for money for their next fix. I hope this cracking down on real hobbyist is not a fight waged on "the war on drugs". If so, this is their lamest attempt yet. To criminalize true intelligence,in order to bust a couple dope fiends. I really hope that isn't the case. However, I would not doubt it. What are yall's thoughts on this? Have y'all read any thing like this? It's certainly being put out on the web. Just google Indian artifacts link to meth. Tons of reading. What a crappy shame.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I read an article regarding meth heads hunting, and more or less robbing graves as a means of putting their hyper focused "high" to use, and for money for their next fix. I hope this cracking down on real hobbyist is not a fight waged on "the war on drugs". If so, this is their lamest attempt yet. To criminalize true intelligence,in order to bust a couple dope fiends. I really hope that isn't the case. However, I would not doubt it. What are yall's thoughts on this? Have y'all read any thing like this? It's certainly being put out on the web. Just google Indian artifacts link to meth. Tons of reading. What a crappy shame.

Yeah, I've heard that, but reading this, dozens of meth addicts out in the fields at night because meth makes them do things compulsively, it just seems like a tall tale, or at least greatly exaggerated:

What connection is there between meth addicts and arrowheads being looted from archeological sites?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a made up archy story to me. It will help them pass laws against the hobby of ours.

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
What are the active drivers for one to collect? There are really only 2 IMO:

1 - True appreciation for what you find, the hobbyist (collectors) fits this category, those who want to grow their private collection, maybe trade with friends
2 - Income source for whatever one is trying to fund (drugs, simple income, wealth), "gold diggers" fit this category, those who buy/sell for profit

Lines are blurred in the collector realm by those who trade and more so, those who buy and sell artifacts. Take a look at ebay, craigslist and the more traditional artifact sales websites. News media and the internet in general inform those seeking income via the monetization of artifacts with all the motivation they need. They can quickly search and find that artifacts sell fairly quickly and for decent money in some cases.

Since I have started collecting, the number of people out looking has increased dramatically. The quality of the "newcomers" at least in my area, is questionable. I know there are guys out there with no intention of keeping what they find, they sell everything. I know a guy who has actually got people out looking for him that he pays top dollar for high quality pieces, I find this to be as atrocious as anyone out there looking to fund drug problems or to turn a buck.

The economy and jobs situation in our country right now I think has got people with time on their hands out looking so they can sell what they find and make a few bucks. Once these people start looking, they may never stop even if they get a job, it's an addictive hobby! Ebay should eliminate native american artifact sales since they can not prove whether or not a find is legal or not. Folks willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for the G10+ artifacts should rethink their obsession, every time something sells for hundreds or thousands of dollars it encourages more people to get out and look for their "lottery" piece.

Discussion forums, it's great to come on here and see what people are finding and hear all the related stories of where, how, when etc.. But the forums too contribute to the increase in laws. As easy as it is for us to find these places, same goes for archeologists, feds, state governments and so on to monitor things as well. While I'd hate to see the forums go away, I'd trade the forums in a heartbeat for the ability to continue to do what I love to do without someone thinking of me as some kind of looter.

Agree with the laws and their reasoning or not - once they are written and enforced, they are here to stay.

Please, no one take offense from anything I've written here, these are my thoughts/opinions only and not meant to attack or demean anyone. Most here anyway, least as far as I believe, are in the #1 category, true collectors.

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just crazy. I guess if there has to be a positive to this, is that at least they are only interested in the cash aspect and are selling them to collectors, who can truly appreciate them. And then, that does'nt even sound good ..

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
dlos said:
What are the active drivers for one to collect? There are really only 2 IMO:

1 - True appreciation for what you find, the hobbyist (collectors) fits this category, those who want to grow their private collection, maybe trade with friends
2 - Income source for whatever one is trying to fund (drugs, simple income, wealth), "gold diggers" fit this category, those who buy/sell for profit

Lines are blurred in the collector realm by those who trade and more so, those who buy and sell artifacts. Take a look at ebay, craigslist and the more traditional artifact sales websites. News media and the internet in general inform those seeking income via the monetization of artifacts with all the motivation they need. They can quickly search and find that artifacts sell fairly quickly and for decent money in some cases.

Since I have started collecting, the number of people out looking has increased dramatically. The quality of the "newcomers" at least in my area, is questionable. I know there are guys out there with no intention of keeping what they find, they sell everything. I know a guy who has actually got people out looking for him that he pays top dollar for high quality pieces, I find this to be as atrocious as anyone out there looking to fund drug problems or to turn a buck.

The economy and jobs situation in our country right now I think has got people with time on their hands out looking so they can sell what they find and make a few bucks. Once these people start looking, they may never stop even if they get a job, it's an addictive hobby! Ebay should eliminate native american artifact sales since they can not prove whether or not a find is legal or not. Folks willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for the G10+ artifacts should rethink their obsession, every time something sells for hundreds or thousands of dollars it encourages more people to get out and look for their "lottery" piece.

Discussion forums, it's great to come on here and see what people are finding and hear all the related stories of where, how, when etc.. But the forums too contribute to the increase in laws. As easy as it is for us to find these places, same goes for archeologists, feds, state governments and so on to monitor things as well. While I'd hate to see the forums go away, I'd trade the forums in a heartbeat for the ability to continue to do what I love to do without someone thinking of me as some kind of looter.

Agree with the laws and their reasoning or not - once they are written and enforced, they are here to stay.

Please, no one take offense from anything I've written here, these are my thoughts/opinions only and not meant to attack or demean anyone. Most here anyway, least as far as I believe, are in the #1 category, true collectors.

You pretty much nailed it from every direction!! Standing ovation!! I'm not kidding one bit either!! Well stated!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well as far as selling I do have a question. I have seen many disagree on selling and buying. Then in the same why is it ok to insure your artifacts? If they get stolen then you get money for them. That is the same to me as selling. You are putting a dollar as in worth on them. And in the same matter how did they find the value on them to insure?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
well as far as selling I do have a question. I have seen many disagree on selling and buying. Then in the same why is it ok to insure your artifacts? If they get stolen then you get money for them. That is the same to me as selling. You are putting a dollar as in worth on them. And in the same matter how did they find the value on them to insure?

Rock, you are kinda different than the others mentioned. You enjoy this hobby to the fullest. You hunt, buy, sell, and trade. You are my buddy and that's not why I'm sticking up for you. However, you did fall in a dark spot here. We all know you love this hobby. The others, see dollars and dollars only. You have a love for the whole 9 yards here. As for insurance, something is better than nothing.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do buy at times when I have extra cash. I like to buy the ones I cant find myself. As for selling it would of been something I have already bought from the past. I have never tried to dig for them and wouldnt know where to start.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
I do buy at times when I have extra cash. I like to buy the ones I cant find myself. As for selling it would of been something I have already bought from the past. I have never tried to dig for them and wouldnt know where to start.

Rock, the older I get, the closer I am to buying a atlal weight! Lol! Just to say, "I have touched one". I'll put it off another 30 years, if the Good Lord sees my existence fit. Lol! I know a couple of dudes that buy and sell artifacts. That is it. No hunting, studying, or even admiration for what they sell. Those are the cats I do not understand. Why?? Why sell them, if the interest in primitive life is minimal at best? I do not go for that. We all know that you hunt hard, study, and love artifacts. No crime in that. I do not buy or sell, but I do not knock you for it. You do put your time in elsewhere, to prove your love for the game. Not just the $$ that can be associated with it. Rock, I can respect what you do.

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
I think for me, to clear up some of the buying/selling ambiguity, Ebay is the prime offender causing problems. Some of the crap I see selling for a lot of money on Ebay drives me nuts. Field grade points going for hundreds of dollars. People listing points for 600, 700+ that have been restored (whether or not they disclose that is another story altogether). Basically, Ebay is a resource from which many assign value to their finds and collections. Craigslist listings valued at $12k, $15k, $20k or more are just absurd!! Anyone that sees these dollar values that has fallen on tough times for one reason or another, heck, why shouldn't they go out and start collecting to sell for money?

I don't begrudge anyone for buying and selling. Well, there are a few out there! But really, what people do with their finds, how they value them makes no difference to me. At the end of the day, any given artifact is worth ONLY what someone is willing to pay for it. Therein lies the rub. What is a realistic and fair price for any one piece? Well, that all depends on someone's desire to acquire it, the depth of their pockets and either the greed or fairness of the person selling it. Addiction takes many shapes in life. Addiction to drugs, tobacco, alcohol, food, sex, money and yes, even native american artifacts in the sense that ones obsession to own a piece can lead them to spend unreasonable sums of money to get it at all costs which in turn can drive up the price of all artifacts.

I collect because I truly am in awe of the fact that with so little at their disposal in regards to resources, the people who manufactured what I am hunting, crafted works of what we call art and to them were simply tools that they could not live without. I am blown away that when I pick one up it has been anywhere from 500-20,000 years since the last human being touched it. I am astounded at just how much of the stuff is actually still out there and by how much has already been found. I appreciate each piece for all the hard work it took me to find it, the time researching to find sites, the hours looking and finding nothing. I enjoy being outdoors in nature and the exercise I get from all the walking and paddling I have done in search of these things. I appreciate the most spectacular piece in my collection as much as the most crude piece. Hunting artifacts is therapeutic to me, I will be very sad if someday I am no longer legally able to partake in something that gives me so much enjoyment. And doubly so if I feel that such a big part of the reason that all these laws are popping up is due to poor moral character of others out there.

Buying and selling with and to likeminded folks is part of the hobby. Buying from some tweaker is another story all its own.

How much is my collection worth???

It's priceless! You couldn't offer me enough money to pay me for the time I've put in looking!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came off of one of the sites I hunt last week and 2 conservation officers snuck up behind me. I have a small past with these guys and they congratulated me on my finds. God I am glad they aren't pricks! For laughs, one of them told me that the other one has 40 credit hours in beautician school LOL. =]

I asked them about the laws regarding the river. After they told me the riverbanks are private I told them they better check into it a little better. According to Indiana law, any stream that was navigable prior to Indiana becoming a state is held in public trust. The banks are supposed to be public property up to the "normal high water line". I take that as being the top of the bank. I spent countless hours researching the subject. And I also talked to DNR officials on the matter. That's why I let those CO's know they need to look into the laws a little better. :D

And for the record, I am 28 years old. And I am also older than both of those guys. :P

AND I'm talkin about Indiana. That's where I live. =]

Thanks for the info, Go COLTS!!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
jeff-gordon said:
Thanks for the info, Go COLTS!!

Jeff Gordon, you really look like Steve Martin.😏 or.... Are you really Steve Martin trying to hide your identity since your comedy has plummeted past not funny, to flat out stinks?💩just messin dude!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread