Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one looks like a square knife. Looking at size, form and the blade edge and not that thick, I'm leaning towards that. It looks like it may have been a celt as well. still leaning towards square knife. Why make a blade edge like that if it was to be used as Celt? Nice finds!!!........GTP....

Last edited:
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a square knife when I first picked it up. But the thickness had me scratching my head. As I did find a square knife at this site, but it was much thinner. Thanks GTP.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems the two of us disagree alot.
. I'm glad we do it in a healthy way.
I believe you have an adze. It's thin because it wasn't used like a celt.. but like a wood chisel.
A celt would be bevelled from both sides making a straight bit. An adze is flat on one side and beveled on the other.. just like a modern wood chisel. Hafted flat side down.

BucTheC185a_h280_.jpeg

BucTheC193a_h280_.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thumb or hafting for the indentation. Thanks for the replies/reviews.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator in the examples you posted as with most Celts and adzes flat sides are what they are known for. Even in the pictures you supplied shows how the sides are flat. The sides on this are bladed and it would be the first full 4 sided bladed Celt and adze I've ever scene......Even on flint Celts the sides are more chunkier them the example posted here. The bit end always show polish even on flint Celts. This one doesn't......This one shows a precise blade all the way around. Leaning me towards the direction of square knife.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every photo I posted was an adze. Not a celt in the bunch. The portion that is indented does not show a blade edge from what I see.
Flaked stone celts or adze tools are not known for having flat sides. I dont understand why there is any question.... its a perfect example of a toe hafted flaked stone adze.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
First look says adze to me. No way celt. Where is the use wear or is there any polish? That will help tell.

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator your illustrations/examples are from a different continent. Just saying that they are of a different design as tools. Here are some other ones I found at the same site. They are both flat on the bottom. And are probably hump back flint celts. The last one is a similar to the one I posted. They are all small 3 to 2.5 inches. As for polished the white flint would be hard to get that appearance. Thanks guys. It may take a couple of posts to get them on here.

Attachments

• sell 239.jpg
    sell 239.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 226
  • sell 241.jpg
    sell 241.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 237
  • sell 243.jpg
    sell 243.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 358
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another one made of better flint.

Attachments

• Picture 250.jpg
    Picture 250.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 221

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't matter where they were from.. They were made basically the same to serve the same purpose around the globe.also...you would need to show the front of the bit on those last ones to know which those are....since thats the only difference between the two.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have no idea as to what it is. I am not even going to guess. lol.........nice though I would like to find one in that cool shape.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up humpback adze... then look up humpback celt.. it's full of confusion.. to the point people just call them both.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe GTP has actual experience in the artifact world as hands on experience. But on the other hand you GB show allot of knowledge also. There will be times that we dont all see eye to eye. I use this type of thing as a learning tool.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last 3 are flint Celts. The first one looks too refined to be a Celt and has more tones of being a square knife then Celt or adze. I've heard more talk of adzes this week then over the 4+yrs being on this forum. Not all are what is perceived. Gator you are the google king of examples.....

That's funny Google King... just backing up my Theory. You usually do that also. Why not this time?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll explain it man... When observing the artifact in question flaking usually is the greatest clue used. In the last three examples the first one is the only one that looks like it could be a adze. If you look at the bit area if it were contoured as in a adze you would notice it. The last three, the first bit looks slightly contoured if you look at it you can see it, that could be a adze. The next two you can see the straightness of the bit area in the flaking, not just that you can see the very edge of the blade through length of the flake channel. All channels being the same length would tell me that the edge is straight. The second one in the last three you can see the impact scar on top but all channels are the same telling me it is straight. Every little bit has a clue. No pun intended. The first one however shows a very nice blade all the way around. A hafting point and looks like it was used as a knife. Although it looks like it could be a Celt I believe this was a knife. Thanks for the fair question.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the incite of that link. Jim Bennett is a good person and usually spot on with his write ups. If you do not have it go out and purchase his book on authentication. It contains the knowledge he gained when he studied with Bill Jackson. Although Jackson took a beating on the lawsuit giving him a little discredit his methods of mineralization and what to look for with a point are used daily in authenticating. A very thorough book and I recommend it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread