Pottery Shards from a creek in Western NC Piedmont

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know who made the pottery but the creek has worn the broken edges smooth...you have to use a magnifying glass to see most of the markings. The original one, the one by itself, was probably made from a recycled grass basket...the others I'm not sure. When they are wet you can't see markings at all and the drier they get the better to see. When I go to the creek it's always my mission to find more but they are very elusive and probably lodged in sand and rocks deep down or downstream somewhere.

The round one that is second from the left on the bottom looks like it has a face and may be some kind of game piece. Not sure what the reddish ones are and the center one with the black is thicker than the rest.

Anyway I'm hoping this will help those who are searching for pottery to see that you need to look for...the first one we found was almost tossed aside thinking it was a piece of bark. Also, who even knows if they were all made by the same group of folks :dontknow:

Attachments

• first shard front.jpg
    first shard front.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 380
  • first shard inside.jpg
    first shard inside.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 822
  • 100_6713.JPG
    100_6713.JPG
    986.2 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love pottery. It does look tumbled. Lots of time they used shell or limestone in the pottery from what I have read. I pick it up also and have a couple buckets and coolers full. Looks like you guys have a fun day. Where you getting any flint with your finds?

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love pottery. It does look tumbled. Lots of time they used shell or limestone in the pottery from what I have read. I pick it up also and have a couple buckets and coolers full. Looks like you guys have a fun day. Where you getting any flint with your finds?

I read somewhere they also use grounds of quartz and there's lots of it here...I can see sand mixed in and might be quartz/sand don't know. It's been a good day for creek looking, sunny in the 60's. Didn't find any flint unless one of those scrapers I posted earlier today is and not sure but that one is a beauty with shades of blue. I keep hoping to find more pottery like that large one lol

Do you have any idea by who or when the pottery was made?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shards. Look for round flat pieces they did make game pieces out of pottery scraps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread