Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonzer - Had to come back and look again. just the broke end you found 8 years ago is a great find all by itself. Really an amazing find. You asked about getting it 'fixed'. I think it's a great, great find the way it is, I think it takes something away from it having it 'repaired'.

Thanks man. The small end is the piece I showed you and Hippy at the La Salle show last year. I still can't believe it. Had trouble sleeping last night. We had some dozer work done in that area of the field. We removed a row of apple trees and pulling them up really disturbed the ground. It is pouring down rain today or I would be right back out there!!!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I also had to come back and look at it, spectacular!

If you had it restored, I think most people would assume more was missing. I'd glue it together, but leave it at that.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I agree with the others. Just use some Elmers glue and stick it back together. It's a much better story that way. In fact dad and I found an axe in 3 pieces 6 years apart and more people ask about that than any other relic we have. We never did glue it back together because it's a fun story.

I voted banner as well. That's as rare as they get especially made of hardstone. I have only known two other people who personally found them. The other hardstone one is probably the best one ever found in Illinois.

I dont remember if the material is Gneiss or diorite. It looks like diorite from the picture, but I'm not sure.

Great find again!

Hippy

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great artifact glad ya found the other piece...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bird stones and Bar Amulets have always been such a mystery and the one you found is as rare as hens teeth any ways let alone finding the other piece to it years later.
Lithic's casting labs even struggles with an exact use of this item.

Birdstones Of Eastern United States, Page 1

OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others. Just use some Elmers glue and stick it back together. It's a much better story that way. In fact dad and I found an axe in 3 pieces 6 years apart and more people ask about that than any other relic we have. We never did glue it back together because it's a fun story.

I voted banner as well. That's as rare as they get especially made of hardstone. I have only known two other people who personally found them. The other hardstone one is probably the best one ever found in Illinois.

I dont remember if the material is Gneiss or diorite. It looks like diorite from the picture, but I'm not sure.

Great find again!

Hippy

Ill bring it to a show so you can see it up close. Are you gonna be around this summer? I tried to call you but you number must have changed.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ jonzer, I have read replies from hippy saying he is over seas. Great find by the way.

OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of my daughter and grand daughter holding the prize... BA.jpg

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing story. I don't know enough to know its a rarity or not...but getting ready to read about it. Congrats. Someone tell me how to vote banner and I'm all in. I've tried figuring it out but apparently I'm super slow or its just not easy to locate.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
to find one piece would have been fantastic, and to find both...what are the odds? You sure should go get a couple lottery tickets.

BRAVO!!!

Banner!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Jonzer - Had to come back and look again. just the broke end you found 8 years ago is a great find all by itself. Really an amazing find. You asked about getting it 'fixed'. I think it's a great, great find the way it is, I think it takes something away from it having it 'repaired'.

I agree Twitch. To have it repaired or even glued, for that matter, kills the story behind the finds. (Notice plural) I do think I'd frame this artifact and have a brief writing about the 8 year separation, and the reunion. Such a rare occurrence.

bryanleemc

Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay... Great find! But I'm not familiar with what it was used for and why it's so rare. Wiki didn't even help...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
wth? I got back in today and was certain this item would be riding high on the banner.

It would seem to fit most, if not all qualifiers for the honor.

A. Rarity of item....in individual pieces even, quite a prize! let alone as a whole piece, after unification.
B. Compelling story....yes, it was. After all ,an 8 year hiatus after the initial find. Then discovery of the 2nd piece. pulling up old tree stumps.
C. pics...some very good pics of a very unique type and color of stone

what did I miss?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread