Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a large preform or were they just knocking pieces off? or just wishful thinking? Picked this up on a ranch in Harper, Tx while hunting points. It was 600 acres and I felt like I walked 300 of that. Not a single point. Lots of flakes and this piece but nothing else.

preform4.jpg preform2.jpg preform3.jpg preform1.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is reduction down and if worthy it made the grade to a tool or implement. To me it looks worthy and I think they are fascinating . Makes you wonder why it never went any further. Nice specimen looks cool.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tnmountains!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
it looks like a core in some ways
the percussion lakes that were removed from that piece could been made into points, blades, scrapers, etc

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like a core in some ways

Yes, thank you! That was the term I was trying to think of when I said "knocking pieces off". LOL - I've got to brush up on my artifact terminology.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were definitely knocking pieces off of that. What for is another question. It could have been trying to reduce it down to make a large Bi-Face or Knife. Or it could have just been a core that they taking large flakes off of to make smaller Points and Tools.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were definitely knocking pieces off of that. What for is another question. It could have been trying to reduce it down to make a large Bi-Face or Knife. Or it could have just been a core that they taking large flakes off of to make smaller Points and Tools.

I'm glad to know that this piece was mostly likely worked on. I carried it a long ways back to the truck! It's not real light...I almost threw it down twice.
cheesy.gif

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
A preform looks like a knife blade or arrowhead which is not quite finished. Preforms may need some thinning and notches made to complete the blade or point. I have made many preforms which are still sitting around waiting for my thinning and notching gets better. Your rock from Texas is nice stuff to work and even nicer once heat treated. Your source rock hinged up pretty good and that is probably the reason it was tossed. Toss that rock in a turkey roaster and sand for 8 hours at 450 and it would make some nice arrowhead blanks or a knife blade.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here that would be called a quarry blank.
Everyone else is correct just the same.. supply stone describes it pretty well.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good info everyone! If we wanted to get technical and name this material....would this be Edwards Chert? It was picked up in the Texas hill country.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
one thing I have noticed before....these core stones often have a "pre-form" look to them. As if whom ever was reducing it by knocking off flakes, did so carefully so that in the end he would have a usable hand ax or something similar.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice looking piece of worked flint. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread