Artifact mapping app

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
For those who have a smartphone and like apps, here's a pretty cool one. I actually use it when trail riding (we distance ride with our horses) and decided to try it while canoeing yesterday. It maps your route and along the way you can take pictures of the area and make notations about a specific location. It records how many miles you went, average rate of speed, and you can follow it back in detail. Example, yesterday I took a picture of where we put the canoe in, along the way I took pix of different landmarks and where we stopped to look for artifacts. I didn't make any notes, but I could have noted I found a point, lots of chert, or shallow area, and it would mark the exact location that way we could go back to it and look in more detail. When your done with the trip you can view the whole map in hybrid, satellite, or map view and it will show little markers you can click on for the pix you took or the notes you made. It says you can email the map and share it, but haven't done that yet. Also, we have AT&T and the service is awful in the country. Even when I can't pick up a signal, the gps is still receiving from a satellite and I'm able to follow the map. The name of the app is EQUItrail, as it was made for horseback riding, but it seemed to work perfect yesterday. I believe I did have to pay for it (don't remember how much), but there are other ones that are free. Don't think you could take pictures and jot down notes and have it map that exact location. Anyway, you can search the keywords horse trail riding and it should bring them up.

Thought I'd pass it along :)

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one called "arrowhead collector" that's almost identical.
I just didn't like the fact that you have to have all the GPS coordinance left attatched on a phone that never sleeps.
People can get all that info..even if you post photos on here with a smartphone with the GPS left on when the photo was taken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread