Dovetails

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MVC-006F-1.jpg

Not going to get big bucks at a auction but nice Pickaway Co. Ohio Dovetails all the same. Found in the 70's I found 3 and managed to beg my buddy to sell me 2 he found. All near the Scioto River.

Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Man i think those are real nice,hard to find nowadays,i live in pickaway county and have never found a dovetail that wasnt blemished in some way! Auction are you selling them?

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No I would never sell them, I was referring to the Dovetail that just sold for over a hundred grand. I grew up in GroveCity which is Franklin Co. I was always running that river looking for stuff. All my friends were the same way. I married a girl who lived right on the river south of 316. I found tons of stuff near her house, knew all the farmers so could hunt,fish and search all I wanted. I live in Florida now & last time I was visiting family I got out and walked a field. The State patrol stopped and threatend to lock me up for tresspassing. A lot changes in 30-40 years. Looked in Ross and Scioto Counties too. Tons of Ft. Ancient and Adena stuff everywhere of course. Archaic items are more rare. I was young and wish I had spent more time now looking for artifacts as back then it was easier to get permission and the farmers were still plowing. Where do you live in Pickaway?

P

pickaway

Ohio has some of the strictest tresspassing laws,even if its not posted your tresspassing,I live out by hargus lake.I have found some nice stuff along the river best way to do it now is to boat it and hit the gravel and sand bars most of the farm land on the river is so far from a house you could hunt it easily without ever being seen but its a chance you take i have also found alot of stuff around little walnut crrek and turkey run creek. good area to hunt..

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Dovetails, Fossis.............................

A

Atlantis0077

Nice,

Agreed Cannonman, those are very nice points. "Book value" for what thats worth...I would estimate them from 600-2200 each. Would help if I could actually hold them and examine them closely. Overstreets always inflates point value, but those are nice specimens and as stated, finding them undamaged is rare. Excellent finds...I wouldn't part with them!!!!!!!!

Atlantis

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Those dovetails are sweeet! I do not know a lot about material types. Is the one on the right made of Flint Ridge? It has a lot of nice colors.

Awesome finds! Thanks for showing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread