northeast stuff

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
I've been checking this site out for a while, and I'm really pleased with what
I've seen. I've been reluctant to share anything because everyone around here talks in whispers about points and such, but I would love a place to share my finds and get some advice on things. That said anyone have an idea what this is made out of? I've never seen anything so translucent around here besides quartz(whicch this might be) It's from martha's vineyard Ma. Thanks much

Attachments

• clearpoint1.jpg
    clearpoint1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Hey Tom, glad to have you aboard. I'm kind of finding out that it has gotten that way everywhere Tom. More laws being passed, more public land being restricted, well, it's making people hush hush. I don't like to be a law breaker Tom, but if the day ever comes where we can't pick anything up and keep it from any beach or any creek, what are we going to do? >:(

bm

A

Atlantis0077

Welcome Tomsneck,

This is indeed a good forum. I don't think you have to worry about sharing your finds here unless you plan on posting photos of yourself digging out skulls etc....lol I agree with Cannonman, that looks like some type of agate. I am looking forward to seeing what you are finding up there. We are on opposite ends of the country, its nice to see a little diversity in collections.

Atlantis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net,

Fossis........................

OP
OP
tomsneck

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
;) thank you guys for the replies, I'll post some of my stuff I have when I get back from my wedding(two weeks in the carribean). I'm going to runthis point by some oldtimers in the area and see what they have to say(you should see some of the collections here, it make me think I'm lucky to still be finding things). Thanks again, this place is $#@in cool
Colin :D ;D

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've seen numerous points found here on Long Island, all of which are quartz. I'll try and post some pics this week. My cousin has a dozen that were found on his property before he owned it.

kenb

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I have saved several like that, I was thinking ??? Mine may be game peices, they're flat on one side and more round on the other ???. I'll try to post some pic's. I am curious about the stone also, I tend t o agree with ::)Cannonman about the agate from what I've read. Nice shard!

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I have run accross material similar to that here in Vermont. Some points Ive found have a see through milky white look. I called it milky quartz but a archeaologist told me another name and said it comes from Canada. The clear see through I call crystal quartz. I find it randomly at indian sites but have never came up with a whole point. Heres a pic of a large piece my son found while fishing / arrowheading not to far from my house. It was with some black Mt. independence chert and some rose gray flint from Ny area. He looked the site quickly without any luck but told me its worth a second look.

Attachments

• 112_1280.JPG
    112_1280.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 213

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hard to tell from that pic. I'd say agate only because I'm familiar with it and not familiar with ramah chert. That being said, I know Mr. Bill (uniface) wouldn't put his opinion out here if he didn't think he could back it up.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome tomsneck!
With the background you have behind it, it’s almost impossible to identify. Im familiar with MV Points and lithics, and I’d say it’s a quartz triangle.
Try to get a couple photos up close in good lighting.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been checking this site out for a while, and I'm really pleased with what
I've seen. I've been reluctant to share anything because everyone around here talks in whispers about points and such, but I would love a place to share my finds and get some advice on things. That said anyone have an idea what this is made out of? I've never seen anything so translucent around here besides quartz(whicch this might be) It's from martha's vineyard Ma. Thanks much
Nice find, Colin. Years ago I found a beautiful little bird point that looked like it was made of ice or glass - it was neither. Perfectly clear quartz. One of my favorites.
Sounds like you’ve got some great opportunities there. Take advantage while you can.
HH
dts

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thread is a little over 13 years old.

In addition, I would need good closeups, both backlit and non backlit, before I could begin to get a handle on whether it were Ramah Chert, or perhaps quartz, which it could very well be. I can not possibly make a guess based on even enlarging that one rather poor photo.

Here are some Ramah chert points from Labrador. Bear in mind, Ramah Chert is actually a translucent quartzite, not chert at all:

495A464E-2127-4792-8156-72CC23C3B390-20418-000008733AD81791.jpeg

Below, a 10 1/2" Ramah Chert blade found near Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Attachments

• 3CC02FC0-A128-4922-BFFD-6EE09ED9417D-20418-000008739284AB90.jpeg
    3CC02FC0-A128-4922-BFFD-6EE09ED9417D-20418-000008739284AB90.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 7FBA2BA1-E8E5-4E00-94CF-7DD0B22F12CE-20418-000008738D3620E5.jpeg
    7FBA2BA1-E8E5-4E00-94CF-7DD0B22F12CE-20418-000008738D3620E5.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 43

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is a little over 13 years old.

Some seem to want to see only fresh, new posts (artifact tabloid approach).

On some other (non-artifact) boards, at least, people get flamed for starting a new thread on some topic that already has one that could be added-to, so as to keep everything on that topic in one place (thread) rather than scattered in many different ones.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some seem to want to see only fresh, new posts (artifact tabloid approach).

On some other (non-artifact) boards, at least, people get flamed for starting a new thread on some topic that already has one that could be added-to, so as to keep everything on that topic in one place (thread) rather than scattered in many different ones.

I only mention it so folks won't expect the OP to reply to new comments. Not that the OP can't, but if they are not here on a regular basis, they likely won't reply. I have no idea what anybody wants in terms of "fresh posts" vs older posts; I never conducted a survey over that question. I do know, that in older posts, someone usually mentions that it's an older post. This time I did, and not because I thought people should not comment on older posts. Makes no difference to me at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread