Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I dug this thing up many years ago in a chunk of land that the state had previously planned to run the local interstate through. As they began prepping the land for the highway, many native american artifacts were turning up, so they had to re-route the highway slightly to the east. Anyway, I used to dig there and came up with this thing one day. I am no expert, but the top of this thing sure looks like it's been used many times, it has this waxy sheen to it in spots, like it has had objects struck or rubbed on it with the grain, and is super smooth but only on the top, like it was used as some sort of sharpening device. What do you think?? You can see the waxy type sheen on the top of the stone better in the first picture.

Attachments

• rsz_artifact.jpg
    rsz_artifact.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 237
  • rsz_artifact2.jpg
    rsz_artifact2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idk but I find pieces with that same shape hope you find out what it is ??

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 3/4" long, 1 3/4" high, and 1 1/4" thick { across the top shown in picture }

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to bring this thread up again to see if this is a mano stone. The flat side has obviously been rubbed repeatedly against something, or it sure looks that way to me. This is the way it came out of the ground. The flat side has a sort of "sheen " to it as if it had been used a lot.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im afraid it is still a natural rock. Cant tell you the type of stone but natural it is

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im afraid it is still a natural rock. Cant tell you the type of stone but natural it is

I respectfully disagree. With those perfect angles? That natural rock served a purpose for a long long time, then was lost or left behind.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like greenstone and the N. A. used this stone a lot for tools and axes in our area.

weasel1000

Oct 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
i've only just seen this exchange now, but i DO disagree. It seems kind of irresponsible to say, with total certainty, that you are right. They may throw the thing out. It is NOT just a rock. Please, at least leave open the possibility that you could be mistaken and that they should learn more about it. It is the total, complete rejection of things, based on what? exactly, that i object to.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've only just seen this exchange now, but i DO disagree. It seems kind of irresponsible to say, with total certainty, that you are right. They may throw the thing out. It is NOT just a rock. Please, at least leave open the possibility that you could be mistaken and that they should learn more about it. It is the total, complete rejection of things, based on what? exactly, that i object to.

Is this it weasel? Thanks for pm but I am still saying natural by the cortex on it. Sure it could of been carried into a camp site waiting for something to happen but imo it doesnt show any work on it without more pics its anyones guess.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with rock on this one. I don't see any evidence of it ever being pecked or ground to make it an artifact. This lines you see are just natural striations in the stone and may actually be marks from being ground down by a Glacier.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
grindstone ( probability 99 % ) . :occasion14::occasion14:

It does look like sandstone. A sharpening stone would not necessarily be fashioned. Many whetstones were, but some were just chunks of sandstone that were put to use to hone/sharpen the bits on axes, etcetera. And this stone does look like at least a possibility for a sharpening stone. I have a sandstone multipurpose sharpening stone that has one surface that shows it was used as a whetstone, as well as bone awl sharpening grooves. Now, not saying this is a sharpening or grinding stone, but it just seems possible. And it will assume a shape through usage, and not because it was shaped from scratch. Here's the sandstone example I was referring to. Note one surface used as a whetstone. Nothing better then sandstone for the purpose; it's natural sandpaper....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I respectfully disagree. With those perfect angles? That natural rock served a purpose for a long long time, then was lost or left behind.

depending on the stone type, lots of rocks will fracture at perfect angles.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

People felt certain it was natural in good faith. My own point is that that is exactly what many sharpening stones look like. Natural, with usage facets. There is a sheen from rubbing on one side of that sandstone block. As there is on one side of the example of multipurpose sharpening stone I showed. If found on a site, and I don't know if it was dug up in association with artifacts, and it's an old post, the OP is not around, but if found on a site, and by appearance, I would have no problem seeing it as a piece of sandstone showing usage as a whetstone. If found on a known site, or in context with other artifacts. More often then not, they will be sandstone, and they will show utilized facets from sharpening activity. I'd much prefer to make the call in hand, as well as know the specific context. But I've seen a lot of sandstone blocks used as sharpening stones, and for that reason it does not strike me as impossible in the least.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
If it were found on one of the sites around here, I would bet money that it was an artifact worthy of keeping, but as Charl stated it all comes down to context on a piece like that.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was found in Southern Connecticut theres a very good chance it was shaped by glacial movement. In southern Connecticut there are exposures of glacial till where you will find some very interesting shapes.
I'm a firm believer that NA used these outcroppings for tools and weapons. But once again it is almost impossible to say your find is an artifact unless it was found in the hands of a deceased NA or if it showed sufficient evidence of being used for such purposes.

Rock is exactly right when he said it could of been taken to a camp for later use.
Keep hunting the area and maybe some good finds will come from it. HH!

Geradot

May 29, 2015
Kamcha
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like sandstone. A sharpening stone would not necessarily be fashioned. Many whetstones were, but some were just chunks of sandstone that were put to use to hone/sharpen the bits on axes, etcetera. And this stone does look like at least a possibility for a sharpening stone. I have a sandstone multipurpose sharpening stone that has one surface that shows it was used as a whetstone, as well as bone awl sharpening grooves. Now, not saying this is a sharpening or grinding stone, but it just seems possible. And it will assume a shape through usage, and not because it was shaped from scratch. Here's the sandstone example I was referring to. Note one surface used as a whetstone. Nothing better then sandstone for the purpose; it's natural sandpaper....

View attachment 1383081 View attachment 1383083 View attachment 1383084

I found hundreds of different grindstones, abrasive instrument .
I am sure that this instance - grindstone....

Attachments

• 7U2A6269.JPG
    7U2A6269.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread