Plummet From Maine

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made of steatite I believe. York Co., Maine. The hole is biconically drilled and the groove connects both ends of the hole. The auctioneer(Old Barn Auctions) listed it as an effigy plummet. I guess the hole could be an eye and the groove a mouth, maybe a sea bird like the extinct Great Auk. But, the hole and groove could just be functional. The hole insures it can be used as a weight and the groove would prevent wobble once tied off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Interesting piece!

Has it been pecked and ground into that shape? Or in your opinion was it a natural stone just modified with the hole and groove? May help determine if it were an effigy type if it were not in natural form.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting piece!

Has it been pecked and ground into that shape? Or in your opinion was it a natural stone just modified with the hole and groove? May help determine if it were an effigy type if it were not in natural form.

Good question. Since it's steatite or soapstone, it was probably quarried and shaped from scratch. That's my guess, it has overall polish and you don't really see much, if any, relic pecking. So many plummets, especially ones with small knobs, really make you wonder how they could have remained secured if used as fishing weights. It's a problematic class of artifacts, as has been noted by many. This one leaves no doubt it could be used. The larger plummet is from Rhode island and it seems fair to ask if we can expect a secure lashing with that and it won't slip off in the water? Same story with the smaller one, how does that stay attached I wonder?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 100

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl JMO I think where they are getting the effigy name from is that the hole is so far away from the end , it's not where most holes are on drilled plummets. It does look like some type of sea bird, that's a cool artifact:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl JMO I think where they are getting the effigy name from is that the hole is so far away from the end , it's not where most holes are on drilled plummets. It does look like some type of sea bird, that's a cool artifact:icon_thumleft:

That's an excellent point, monsterrack. Sounds logical to me, thanks.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The grooves are very functional and ingenious, the cordage lying in the grooves was protected from repeated bashing against rocks and lasted much longer without breaking. This artifact was a prized possession and the grooves helped to insure it against loss. Nice piece.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a fantastic artifact! I can't imagine the amount of work it took to make one of those! Makes me curious about how they used it. What did they use for the line? How did they bring the fish in? I love the history that goes hand in hand with artifact hunting!

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grooves are very functional and ingenious, the cordage lying in the grooves was protected from repeated bashing against rocks and lasted much longer without breaking.

Good observation! Nice piece Charl...I always like to see your east coast stuff.....so different than what's out west. :icon_thumleft:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Plummet. When you say Old Barn Auctions do you mean the one in Ohio? They have a very bad reputation on selling fakes and repros as good. My brother got burned bad by them and they refused to give his money back.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking Plummet. When you say Old Barn Auctions do you mean the one in Ohio? They have a very bad reputation on selling fakes and repros as good. My brother got burned bad by them and they refused to give his money back.

I've got a Thebes from them years ago. I'm older than it was! No real way to get a refund, they auction for 3rd parties. Never again.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yep, that one. But, I knew the finder very well. He had consigned several of his finds in that particular auction, all from Maine. And he himself had not called it an effigy, although once it was listed that way, we both felt it couldn't be ruled out as such. In fact, I came up with the Great Auk idea, since they were common in the North Atlantic region of Maine and Maritime Canada in the past. I don't take the idea too seriously, it's a perfectly functional design....

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an illustration of New England plummets from Charles Willoughby's "Antiquties of the New England Indians", published in 1935. A couple are perforated, and others have somewhat fanciful shapes. One might ask if there is any relationship in function of these items to the class of artifacts known as charmstones from California. Plummets continue to stir debate as to their actual function, despite being traditionally classed with fishing gear for many years. Also shown are two Rhode Island plummets from my collection. One is both knobbed and grooved, and the other is oversized at 8" long. Also, a suggested halting for a basic knobbed plummet, if it were a fishing weight...

IMG_8155.JPG IMG_8152.JPG IMG_8153.JPG IMG_8151.JPG IMG_8154.JPG

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever it is worth they are found in California and are labeled as fish form charmstones. The groove around the end is also a common type of groove found on phallic charmstones.

charmstonetyp.56142756.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me be clear that I wasn't questioning the Plummet. It looks good as gold to me. Just warning you about Old Barn Auctions. Since you knew the seller you are good. My brother bought several Thebes and Lost Lakes about 15 years ago and every one of them were bad. This was before he knew better. He is a lot better at seeing fakes now.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, let me be clear that I wasn't questioning the Plummet. It looks good as gold to me. Just warning you about Old Barn Auctions. Since you knew the seller you are good. My brother bought several Thebes and Lost Lakes about 15 years ago and every one of them were bad. This was before he knew better. He is a lot better at seeing fakes now.

No, I didn't think you questioned the plummet, though that's alright too, not a problem. I did not know of any reputation at the time, and often got their catalog, as they advertised in Prehistoric Antiquties Quarterly. Eventually I learned of connections among several major, and I mean national reputation major, collectors from that region, and who practiced things like faking provenance. The relics were real. The location where they were found was up to the buyer. Want a point from your home state? Sure, no problem, I'll write your state's name on whatever you're looking for. That kind of BS. There are other Auction houses, I will not name them, where you just have to be there to examine stuff in hand. Live auction houses specializing in Native American artifacts are always a buyer beware arena. Inadvertent or not. Always best to actually attend and avoid absentee bidding. Also, do not overbid by absentee ballot. See a real relic you like, and maybe it is good and is worth $200 perhaps? And you decide you just have to have it, and leave an absentee bid of $500. I guarantee the auction house will make sure you win that lot for $495. I got that plummet in the early 90's.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Forgot to say, thanks for the warning. It's been ages since I bid on anything in a live auction house venue. Can't take anything with me, so, except on very rare occasions, I stopped buying any of the collectables I like.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you posted this one. The one with 8 at the end. That has two meanings. I will tell you in private.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread