redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Some northern Maryland artifacts from my Grandfather's farm

Here are some photos of a couple of frames of finds from my Grandfather's (mothers side) farm, which is in the Dublin /Darlington area of Harford County, Maryland. 95% of them my Grandfather found after he retired in about 1970, he never bothered to look for them or save them prior to that. My Mom says that she and her sisters used to find them on occasion when having to pick tomatoes back in the 1930's and 40's, and would either toss them back down, or throw them at each other. lol
The large red/grey quartzite triangle is the first arrowhead I ever found while actually looking for artifacts. I was probably about 12 years old in the early 1970's and we were at my Grandfathers for a family get together. It must have been for Fathers Day, or the Fourth of July because the corn was thigh high. We were all just hanging around waiting on dinner to be ready and my Dad asked me if I wanted to walk out in the field with him and look for arrowheads. I didn't know what I was doing so I kept picking up small pieces of quartz and taking it over to him and asking if they were arrowheads. After doing that for about a dozen times he sort of snapped at me, and said every piece of rock is not an arrowhead, you had to look at them and see where they had been chipped and shaped by the Indians. I remember sort of pouting off down the corn row, and soon found this large quartzite triangle. I knew it WAS finally an arrowhead, and didn't show it to him until we got out of the field and were called to dinner. He did not find any that day, and all my aunts and uncles oohed and aaahhhed at my arrowhead find. Some finds you can never forget. T1.JPG T5.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a couple photos didn't come through, tried again but having trouble. On the insert photo dialogue box I get an exclamation point in a red circle next to the file size, which was only 196 kb, and smaller than photo that came through ok in post above?? Sorry, will try again later. :(

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liking those quartz ones nice collection

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some hunts you will never forget and memories can last forever. You are lucky to have found that one with your Dad. Looks like a good spot on the farm. Thanks for jointing us and look forward to seeing your post.Jump in any time.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the picture problems. The IT guys are working hard on it and are aware of the problem. That is all I know.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and story.I would have been the shifty relative trying yo trade you a candy bar for it.....

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
That is a very nice first find and I enjoyed hearing about you finding it. Thanks for sharing.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Funny I'm in Darlington right now and I live in Dublin. Great maryland finds. Hard to get a farmer to let ya hunt fields now. Took me years to get mine. My big field I had to get caught on without permission to get permission. Haha. Thanks for sharing and if your up this way shoot me a message.

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey bsit1361, I would like to get together some day with you and go hit some of my old stomping grounds, and maybe try to find some new ones. My Grandfather knew most of the farmers in that area, as that side of my family has been in that area for 150 years. If any of his old buddies are still living we might be able to use that connection, or connections to a lot of my other relatives that still live around there. to get permission onto their farms?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread