005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ramswin

Ramswin

Apr 3, 2011
I guess I should have included its size.
It's 5" long.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was it found and do you know what material it is made up of

OP
OP
Ramswin

Ramswin

Apr 3, 2011
It was found near Toledo Ohio by the Maumee river.
As for material, it is made of stone.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevermind those guys.. Thanks for choosing us to view that item since you don't have experience.
If you believe you're in a good area for finding Native American artifacts keep at it you will get one eventually.
Everyone probably would have been laughing harder had it been made of bone

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator is right I apologize myself ... I am not sure it is just natural but gator is way more knowledgable than I am keep looking and thanks for posting ;)

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could possibly be a polishing stone IMO ;)

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
Ramswin,

I was honestly only kidding with you. Trust me when I say that I never have any hidden cruel intentions with my comments.

I think it's great you show interest in the art/hobby/past time of relic hunting.

I wish you the best of luck.

P.S. the question about material was directed toward the type of rock/Stone it is.
Example: granite , type of flint, etc...

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is an artifact, but with a few more pics. I think I could. I think you have a pestle! If you would post a couple of pics of the rounded ends, we may see signs of use. Cool!!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
It probably all depends upon where it was found, If it was found in a creek or river with lots of other well worn and rounded natural rocks, then that is probably all it is. If it was found on a pre-historic artifact site, where naturally worn and rounded rocks would not end up at due to geological processes, then it is probably an artifact /tool. It does not look to have been shaped by humans into its present form, but if a pre-historic person found it in a creek and thought it would make a good tool as found, and took it with them back to their camp and used it, then technically it would be an artifact /tool. My artifact hunting buddy calls those style objects' dog stones".

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to post the ends of the rock for us to see if there was any use wear in it in order to be sure. But as far as the pics you have shown it does look natural. Thanks for the post and always check before you throw one back.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I thought the one picture showed a darker area on the bulbous end. And with that material, it could mean there is some polish there. It looks like a great hard stone, and from what I can see, it's a type that would be put to use imho.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
image-3986647983.jpg

The dark spot with the arrow pointing to it got my attention. I can't see enough to call it an artifact. However, I can see potential.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread