Obsidian that looks "plum" colored...or maybe a nice sweet wine......:)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....that little piece on the bottom left of my other post kind of looks a bit like this color....only have found a few but it's pretty....what would it be called? It's not really brown or real red so..... RSCN7213.JPG RSCN7041.JPG RSCN7039.JPG RSCN7079.JPG RSCN7204.JPG RSCN7200.JPG .....now if I could only find a arrowhead made of it.....:-\

Upvote 0

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Not sure the rootbeer colored rock is obsidian. the other looks to be Mahogany Obsidian. You don't find many artifacts made out of Mahogany. I know some have been found in California

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know Jon I was sort of questioning that to. I looked at it with a mag. and there are fractures "conical" shaped like obsidian, but couldn't get a good pic of them. I am wondering what the white stuff on it is, anyone know?

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to find a point made of that sweet !!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first piece looks a lot like a brown/smokey Quartz. The indians liked is material because it retained it's sharpness. This quartz was usually found in nodule form. Pretty material. Not sure on the other, but could be a nodule?

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Brown/Smoky quartz doesn't normally form as nodules. Ii's formed exactly like clear quartz crystals, except the smoky color is the result from natural irradiation. Obsidian sometimes does have bubbles on the outside rind, as does some forms of agate, etc.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brown looks alot like root beer flint often found in Texas ...the reddish piece looks like Rainy Butte solidified wood.
The white stuff is the natural rind on the stone its likely limestone.
Flint/chert is silica replaced limestone.... agatized limestone ...if you will

ForumRunner_20140325_051135.png

ForumRunner_20140325_051238.png

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obsidian comes in all colors, JMO Jon nailed the last photo it is Mahogany Obsidian, the reason I say that, it comes in all colors. I have seen every color from purple to rainbow color and there is a Obsidian named rainbow. Nice find kat

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And... in fact the color called 'root beer' looks a whole lot like plum. Like cut a plum open and the color is...___ I think you should proclaim a new color and make it official! Beautiful- and enviable stuff you got there CuriousC. Can't wait to see more of what you find! Yak

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Thank you Peaches & Painter.:)
Yes old digger that piece is sharp...maybe quartz you say, I thought it was Obsidian at first and then had some doubts so didn't know, thanks for that!:)
Thank you Scepter1 for that info.!
GatorBoy it sure does look like your picture, wish it was that shape though.:( And thank you for telling me what the white stuff is!:icon_thumleft: But the nodule is Obsidian, just wasn't sure about what the color was called because it seems more "red" than most "mahogany" ones I've seen.
:hello: monsterrack, hope all is going well out your way. You said you've seen the purple, the sheen or solid? The only time I've seen that was outlaws, sure wished I had some of that! lol
And thanks yakker, so guess that piece is "root beer"!

Last edited:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Gatorboy I just finished a point that the material looks just like the triangle you are holding. The points would be twins except I side notch the point I made.

The point I made is out of heat treated agate.

Monster : I was just given a 40# bolder of Davis Creek rainbow obsidian from the owner of the Davis Creek mine . I met him when I went out to the Tucson rock show. It sure is pretty looking stuff. If I ever get it slabbed up I will send you a couple of slabs.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first piece looks a lot like a brown/smokey Quartz. The indians liked is material because it retained it's sharpness. This quartz was usually found in nodule form. Pretty material. Not sure on the other, but could be a nodule?

I find a few of these here and there.

REE%20473.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a bit blurry but checkout this rock I found in the creek the other day and its solid with no cracks. I think it might be red flint cause its heavy. You have some nice colors in your area Kat

Attachments

• SDC10737.JPG
    SDC10737.JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 159
  • SDC10739.JPG
    SDC10739.JPG
    676.4 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger if that picture is of the brown smoky quartz, it looks like an apache tear sort of. I didn't know there was such a thing, thanks for sharing that!

rock...that's a real pretty rock, great color! And real big to.....you're lucky to have found it & thanks for sharing, wish my were larger...there I go again, size envy...sorry.

....thanks guys...:)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger if that picture is of the brown smoky quartz, it looks like an apache tear sort of. I didn't know there was such a thing, thanks for sharing that!

rock...that's a real pretty rock, great color! And real big to.....you're lucky to have found it & thanks for sharing, wish my were larger...there I go again, size envy...sorry.

....thanks guys...:)

I dont find much red flint mostly the black here. I saw it in the water the other day while I was yakking. I had to turn around and get it. Its totally natural but a nice color.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....yes...love those pretty colored rocks rock! :) I just took a pic. of my colored obsidian & wanted to share it..... RSCN7360.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you tumble them?

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...none of these are tumbled, it's just they way I found them...but do use a little mineral oil on the dusty ones, brings the color out & is safe I hear.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at a piece of your pretty material here on my desk. You always find the "Bling" colors.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread