Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a natural stone where the softer material in the center eroded away and left more of the harder stone on the ends.

OP
OP
Jerry Bigrock

Jerry Bigrock

Mar 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a natural stone where the softer material in the center eroded away and left more of the harder stone on the ends.
i find that hard to believe sir. Not saying that you are wrong by all means, but for erosion to occur in a continuous ring around a rectangular prism seems nearly impossible . Found it in a creek bed .
What's the likely hood that it could stand on end for hundreds of years for the flow of water,wind,or earth to pass by at just the right angle to evenly etch a 2in wide 1/8in deep groove Nearly equally cycled the softer surface of a rock?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i find that hard to believe sir. Not saying that you are wrong by all means, but for erosion to occur in a continuous ring around a rectangular prism seems nearly impossible . Found it in a creek bed .
What's the likely hood that it could stand on end for hundreds of years for the flow of water,wind,or earth to pass by at just the right angle to evenly etch a 2in wide 1/8in deep groove Nearly equally cycled the softer surface of a rock?

No, actually it could very well be. That rock was once part of a geologic formation with varying composition And the erosion did not necessarily take place where you found it. It was once part of a much bigger unit thousands of feet in thickness and no doubt buried hundreds or thousands of feet beneath the earth. Time and weathering can do what you are seeing in that rock. It isn't necessarily man made at all, but perhaps better pictures will demonstrate it is. But, in general, the process described isn't that outrageous at all; might seem counterintuitive to your common sense, but it could be just as flinthunter describes. It may be fortuitous to get that shape, but not necessarily unnatural.

it might be a piece of eroded conglomerate, where you have pebbles in a sandstone matrix. The center is sandstone, with eroded pebbles at the ends. Picture a truck size boulder of such conglomarate, and that's just a piece of it eroded....

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a sandstone formation I find them here every once in a while. Not every creek has artifacts in it. Some do and some have a few and some have none.

OP
OP
Jerry Bigrock

Jerry Bigrock

Mar 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get home today I will post the artifacts that I've found in this same area. Creek where an old spring flows into it. Just figured it might be something.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't say much about it other than it appears to be a rock without knowin where it was found, the context in which it was found, and the history of the area. Alright, it does appear to FIT THE HAND PERFECTLY. I would have picked it up for further study too.

OP
OP
Jerry Bigrock

Jerry Bigrock

Mar 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to say thanks for replying to my post. There are artifacts everywhere around this place. I found my very first arrowhead 50ft away from where I found this rock. Along with a few other busted or broke pieces. I'm not saying that it is or isn't anything. It seemed intriguing at the time so I nabbed it from ol Mother Nature just in case.

If I knew what it was or wasn't I probably wouldn't have posted it on here. So thank you all for your advice ! This is exactly why I joined this site, to learn more about this stuff. I love it!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a strange design but not every rock was used in a camp site as a tool. Thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread