Minnesota discoidal found last summer

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I only get to hunt my old stomping grounds in the summer. Found this last year in Minnesota. 38 years of hunting and this is the only one I have found. It is 3 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick.

P4080028.JPG P4080027.JPG

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Nice one, especially when its made of such a hard material, looks like a fine grained granite.

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been told that only a hand full of discoidals have ever been found in Minnesota. Not sure if that is true but it sure sounds nice!

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so what are they used for?

Here is a copy/paste that explains what they were used for.

One of the most popular Mississippian artifacts today is the dislcoidal. What is a dislcoidal? The easiest answer is that a dislcoidal is a round Mississippian game stone that was used in the ancient Native American game known as chungkey or chunkey.

Discoidals, sometimes called discs, were treasured tribal possessions through the Mississippian world. They have been found across all of the great Mississippian lands including the states of eastern Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi. Although styles often very from region to region, they were all used as game stones. Discoidals began appearing at Late Woodland sites in eastern Missouri and southern Illinois around 700 A.D. By Mississippian times, chuckey's popularity had spread through the Mississippian world. Some Mississippian sites have produced more than one discoidal style, while others have produced only a single style.
Many surviving discoidals are both beautiful and durable. Quartz and granite were often used in the making of these popular game stones. Both materials are extremely hard, and they had to be. Discoidals were continually used in sporting contests over generations, so they had to be durable. A very few discoidals were made from colorful flint. Discoidals are very popular today with collectors because they come in many styles and colorful materials. Many are so finally made that today they are seen as works of sculptural art. The most frequently encountered discoidal styles are the Salt River, Jersey Bluff, Tennessee, Cahokia, Biscuit, Circle Roller, Apple, and Barrel.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful stone. I'm way jealous of you folks who live where they can be found. Thanks for the show! HH! YAk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a rare find. I have seen 1 found in my area made from a jasper color quartz it had swirls in the stone. It was beautiful

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's my dream find. Thanks for showing.

When i first saw it laying on the ground it was buried except for the flat surface. I thought, cool another corn grinder. When I pulled it out of the ground I about craped myself :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread