Help w/ identifying very large stone knife artifact found in Texas.

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    678.5 KB · Views: 361
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    630.3 KB · Views: 1,335
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty, Nice Find! :icon_thumright:

I'm sure someone down in your area will help with a classification.

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion, believe it or not I took it to a local University professor and supposed artifact historian and he was not even really sure...???

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like archaic arrowhead to me. I've been looking on Overstreet online to try to see what type classifies this one best. It actually kind of reminds me of a Kirk Corner-Notch and a Hardin both. It doesn't quite have the expanded base like a Hardin does though.

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rockheadhunter, thanks so much for your work! That's what the professor told me about Archaic and also, San Marcos has some very, very early occupation by Native American Indians. In fact, some call it the oldest continuously inhabited site in the U.S. Sure wish I could get it nailed down...

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in NC and as a soon as I saw that arrowhead in reminded me of a Kirk type. I have found Kirks here that are corner-notched, stemmed, bifuricated, and snapped base. Most I find are not as big or are re-sharpened a lot during use. Your looks to be in extremely fine shape, maybe a G8 or better grade. Those are really hard to come by. You know what the material is? Is it the Edwards Plateau flint/chert?

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi rockheadhunter,
You might be right since you seem to have a lot of experience w/ these. As far as the material, geology is just not something I am good at...it could be what you say....thanks for your opinion in grade...I really don't know much about these things but I found it back in the early 1980's while someone was building a fence in their back yard which was very close to the San Marcos River...

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
One thing is for sure it ain't, and that's an arrowhead.

For now, from what I see in overstreets, I would type it a Marcos, and a real nice one.

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Quito,
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
I googled Marcos point and I see where you are coming from...its very close if not spot on...I read a description on them and it does indeed seem to fit especially the size, and base notches...Is it solved then do you think? Also, where can I get the best info. on this type of point? Thanks!

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi rockheadhunter,
What do you think about the possibility of it being a Marcos point as someone suggested?

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking on the online Overstreet and I was searching for the specific details that your point has. For example, it is corner-notched and it was found in the Gulf Coastal region. The points that came up that looks likes yours is the Kirk CN and Hardin. That's how I made my assumption. However, Marcos did not come up. I just looked up Marcos on the Overstreet online and there is such a point and it gives pictures of some similar styles that a Marcos can have. I seen a Marcos that looks similar to yours too. I actually just bought the 2013 Overstreet Guide and I just received it today, so I have a better in-hand resource now too. This guide says that a Marcos is normally found in the Southern Central region of the US and is Late Archaic to Woodland in age. Here are some pictures I took for your consideration. If you have any questions about it I don't mind helping. Also here is a link to the online Overstreet site: Marcos | OverstreetID.com.

Attachments

• 0411141531.jpg
    0411141531.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 166
  • 0411141531a.jpg
    0411141531a.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 0411141530.jpg
    0411141530.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rockheadhunter,
Thanks for the info. and your help, I really appreciate it. That's interesting you just got your book...small world..
I see what you see...and you could be on to something...one thing I see in the book under "Key" it says "angle of notches"...
Maybe its just me but on my point the notches seem more shallow ( not as deep and long)...than the pictures of the points in the book...
( look at the my pic. of the point as a whole as the pic. of just the notched end could be deceiving...)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They didnt make everything the same as we know it. Could be a variety of the ones already given as a possibility. Very nice looking point

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
They didnt make everything the same as we know it. Could be a variety of the ones already given as a possibility. Very nice looking point

Oh rock, there are many types that are readily and easily identifiable, not to mention they will also differentiate from other types.

Do you have any of overstreets editions?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh rock, there are many types that are readily and easily identifiable, not to mention they will also differentiate from other types.

Do you have any of overstreets editions?

Yeah I do and some other books also.

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any good pictures of a Marcos point that could either point to or exclude this point as a Marcos?
( Other than the Overstreet)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rock, You are correct that no points can ever possibly look the same obviously...and you could very well be right about this being a variation/combination ...I know what you mean...But of course I am hoping for distinctive qualities when added as a whole would indicate a recognized style and period.. :occasion14:

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What appears to be changed on yours is the length of the barbs and the base. That would make the notches more shallow. Yours is very symmetrical. From the pictures I see of the Macros type, not many are that symmetrical. Even the G9 one (in the third pic) isn't that symmetrical. I still wouldn't exclude a Marcos yet b/c that type is normally found in the state you found it. Yours could be an uncommon variation of that type.

Last edited:

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone have any good pictures of a Marcos point that could either point to or exclude this point as a Marcos?
( Other than the Overstreet)

Here are a few pictures I found on relicshack. All of these are identified as Marcos on the website.

12631A.jpg 13690A.jpg 12384A.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread