Would u call Paleo??

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shane and I hit ole trusty spots in ky yesterday and boy did he score some killers, we will post vids soon. But I came across this point, no clue what to call it. Base looks paleo and it's ground on sides and base . Looks like a mini cumberland or something, heck I don't know, what's your thoughts. Thanks so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find! I am not from your area, but you may have a rare one there. From a little looking you may have a "Redstone Point"? And it was listed as paleo (9000+). Hopefully someone from your area can be of better assistance.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably think it was a Levanna

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call them Dalton variants here but yes it is hard to see in the 2nd pic I believe I do see a fluted spot. Its a great find cause it is whole. Most daltons around me or older points are broken in half.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet find boss congrats !!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You find out what it is let me know. Until then I am calling mine "Pablo". Yours is much better than mine with the ears. Mine is almost bi-unifaced :icon_scratch:?
photo copy 4.JPG

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Trev, the base of your piece looks more paleo than the piece I'm about to post. I'm not sure if you are asking because of the paleo looking base or because of the odd "triangle" on one face of this point. I'm also not sure if it's paleo or not. I wish I could help. Until you posted this piece, I thought I had the only point with the odd "triangle" face. Just thought you might like looking at this point. I found it last summer. I Never have seen this lithic or style of point before or since in my area.

image-1006913080.jpg

image-3555974673.jpg

image-3841554774.jpg

image-3510264058.jpg

As always, you bring an interesting conversation to the table. Looking forward to seeing some slate this summer!!

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, there is two main types that I see here: there is a Hardaway-Dalton and there is an Alamance. The Alamance is Late Paleo (10,000-8,000 B.P.). The Hardaway-Dalton is Early Archaic (9,500-8,000 B.P.). One thing I read in the Overstreet description of an Alamance is that it can be a variant form of the Dalton-Greenbrier evolving later into the Hardaway type. It looks like Fieldhunter's and trevmma's are both very close to these types, maybe trans-paleo variants. I think trevmma's is a Dalton-Greenbrier or a Hardaway-Dalton. Fieldhunter's looks more like a Hardaway from the pictures given (not real sure). Also, the unifaced sides reminds that they might have been a Clovis that has been reworked later (another possible way to look at it). Then, TN's "Pablo" looks like an Alamance maybe to me. Those are definitely unique either way. :icon_scratch: Lol. Maybe that will help yall out some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well very awesome buddy thanks so much for that knowledge :) will try and get a good video up of it

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well very awesome buddy thanks so much for that knowledge :) will try and get a good video up of it

Very nice find by the way! Instead of the Clovis being reworked, a reworked Cumberland into a Dalton-Greenbrier seems more probable from your neck of the woods. Lol. It's a killer point!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread