rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had a flood of viruses make a visit to my PC :sadsmiley:. I have spyware but some how they attached to a email and made it through to my comp. Its going to the shop today and I will be off the air for a while. I cant even load a pic rite now. Dont worry though I will return. I am doing a hunt in the next couple of days in a new field and hope to find some killers while away. HH everyone, rock

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having problems with mine too. Think it's because of the xp and IE 8. Have to use the library pc to do my email on Thursdays when I do our church prayer list. Every time I log onto yahoo email, my pc crashes and I get a message, can't load xpcom. I can watch videos and go to sites like this, but no personal email. Good luck with your trip, Rock. Hope you find some great artifacts. I hope to hit the river Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. One of these days I will have enough time to metal detect and artifact hunt, but not right now.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2w0VX26770.jpeg

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get Malwarebytes. You have to pay for it...I think it is $25.00 but it is yours for life with free updates. It is the best maleware pogrom I have ever used and recommended to me by all of my IT friends.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too many pictures of rocks,slowing it down i bet.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im back it only took 3 tries to log in. Now it will be interesting to see if I can post a pic

Attachments

• SDC10875.JPG
    SDC10875.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there are lots of anti-virus and malware programs out there. Anywhere from free to you-name-it in price. I started using the Microsoft Security Essentials when it first came out as a freebie. I've had a few problems; but nothing like I had when I was running some of the programs that you pay for. I've run Norton and McAfee in the past and had a lot more problems than I have with Microsoft Security Essentials. We have 6 computers here in the house, plus two laptops. We have more problems with hardware failures than with viruses. I have 6 cousins that email me quite a bit. They are all running the same program. If you happen to try using it, be sure to get rid of all other programs because they won't work together. Also, I am not affiliated with Microsoft!!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it fixed now but it is a pain to upload a picture. I will be doing them in multiples for now on instead of singles. Takes twice as long to upload. I was using Google Chrome and other Google programs and all of them were infected. I sure will miss Google Earth.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you using this forum's pic upload function or are you using a photo-sharing site with links like PhotoBucket??

I use PhotoBucket and keep both windows open, photobucket and this site. Then I just switch back and forth for multiple pics..
A lot of people use this same method or variations of it. I got frustrated with some site's photo upload size limits, so have used PhotoBucket.
PhotoBucket is free. I quit using Internet Explorer when it started to get squirrelly due to XP not being supported and some sites just don't "like" IE. I think Google is into EVERYTHING, so I use FireFox. Haven't had any problems.
I use Avast Free virus protection and have my security settings a little high, think Windows has a firewall going.....plus I am on my own network/router. I use Malwarebytes to scan also, it's good.
You can use GoogleEarth online, too. Don't need it installed but don't see why you won't be able to reinstall it once your problems are sorted out. Good Luck!

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much is your PC costing you in time, frustration and keeping all your useless anti virus programs up to date? There is something called 'inherent value' when it comes to Mac vs PC. You can buy a Mac mini for $599 and you'll never have down time.

Comparing the price of a Mac to a PC is no different than the money you save buying a $179 metal detector vs. an $800 one. The $179 may find a hubcap or manhole cover, but you didn't save any money if you're not finding goodies.

I was an MCP (Microsoft Cert Professional) I've been a rabid Mac user now since '04. I saw the light. I spent the extra $$$ on the 'too expensive' Mac. I will NEVER go back to the hell that Windows is.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
How much is your PC costing you in time, frustration and keeping all your useless anti virus programs up to date?

Costs?Next to nothing.Time?next to nothing.Frustration?Nonexistent.If I buy something,I learn about it,then I can fix it if it stops working,thats the secret right there,LEARN.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fix my own pc, I remove any virus, trojans and spyware myself too....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you running windows XP? If so that system is no longer supported which means no new updates and no security. I was using XP but had my computer updated to Windows 7. It is like XP and will run most all of the programs that XP used. Windows 8 will not run any programs that XP did and that is why I chose 7.
I read somewhere that the reason Macs are not plagued with malware is because there are not that many of them in use compared to Windows so scammers tend to not bother them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread