Need help. Large spearhead found in Virginia?

rileygirls

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 12 year old found what looks like a stone spear head in a creek bed in Central Virginia. Anyone have any suggestions on how to identify its age? It's quite large....exactly 8 inches long with tapering from back to front and chipped/serrated edges. Would welcome your feedback/thoughts. IMG_3955.jpg IMG_3956.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a large knife and quite nice.... I am moving it to Indian artifacts section, you will get more info there...

I would spend more time hunting that creek..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Treasure Hunter pointed out, it is not a "Spearhead". It was used as a Knife. That is a very fine example of a large Woodland type knife. I would definitely look around that creek for more artifacts.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. What a beast! I agree with all the comments so far, large knife, maybe made with Rhyolite. Probably a few thousand years old, very nice. As the others have mentioned, that creek probably has more to offer. Thanks for posting and welcome to T-net.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A super find and welcome to T-net:hello: and like everyone said I would go back to that creek real soon.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome- and that's a heck of a way to introduce yourself! That's just awesome- it's so hard to find things that big these days- and in a creek! Right on! You've got to get out there and have a good hard look around- maybe a LOT of looks around. There's certainly more. Just curious- northern, cerntral or southern VA? HH! Yakker

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a nice find for your 12 yr old. Just think how many more are going to be in your home in the future, lol. It takes me 5-6 hours just to find something worth keeping and he/ she goes out and finds a killer for their first one. Welcome to the site, rock
If I was to find it here in GA we would call it a Lerma 10000-5000 Yrs old.

Last edited:

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
What an awesome find! Like others said, go back and look around hard, may be more in the area - on the banks, grounds on either side and certainly in the creek in either direction from where that was laying.

Looks like a huge Guilford knife blade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread