monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO it looks like it was chipped all around the curve area, so IMO it would not have been hafted, maybe a spoke shave:icon_scratch:Great find and thanks for posting.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I don't believe it was halfted either. But it sure is a nice large end scraper IMHO.

Nice find olddigger, it Looks heat treated.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call them side scrapers here. A hand held knife type of tool. Nice color on that one.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thanks, just what is this rock?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, just what is this rock?

A hand held scraper. Used for hides I would guess. Oh you mean the type of rock. Looks like heat treated coastal plains chert to me.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice artifact,the wide end looks like it has some polished surface,more so than the other.i do not see why they wouldnt slide it in a bone handle

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A spall...the curved shape is caused by the cone of percussion when a large stone is struck with another at a precise angle... ... Many scrapers are simply made from them...if you look at the other side you may see ripples near the large end... The small end is closest to the strike!

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some in that shape made into tools not that color though. I call them first stage reduction flake tools. I have 2 I found last yr made from quartz type materials but are large enough to be used as hand tools. I found them 20 miles apart from each other so it is a tool that was used for what purpose I cant be certain. There should be a flat section on the thicker end if it is the same type of tool as mine. The flat side is the striking area where it was struck off of the mother stone. Then they both have a tip and I believe they were held in the flat section in the palm of the hand for comfort. Nice artifact

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out west smaller ones were probably used to clean the blood from the inner membrane of fish... Larger ones are commonly found at camps on rivers with large king salmon runs... Saves the thumbnail when cleaning the days catch...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
yeah, I thought it was a shape I had seen before, that is why i asked hafted. Seems a lot of us have this piece in our collections.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice spoke shave to me just my $0.02

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
yep, I am thinking the shape is ubiquitous...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread