old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I finally found a clovis! The material is red jasper, but there is a small nick near the point.

Folder # 3 005.JPG Folder # 3 006.JPG

Hope you like it, I love it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
outstanding! thanks for the more pix

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my first real arrow head hunt, my buddy found 2/3rds of one. It was made from a very dark flint. That is where I learned about how coveted these points are. Congratulations, couldn't be more better looking then the red jasper.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, WOW, what a beautiful color! Congratulations on finding a fantastic Clovis and for making the banner! :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i know you guys know all this but it is a good read anyway...

Clovis culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we all get jazzed when we find a point that may pre date contact...wow 2-3- 500 years old etc. but a Clovis...predates men RIDING horses instead of EATING them! it LAUGHS at the age of Stonehenge or the Pyramids....

we can argue if it is 10,000 years old or 11....the difference of 1,000 years....look at what even 1,000 years means....a thousand years ago the Normans hadn't even conquered England yet, no one in Europe ever ate a tomato, potato or corn, let alone smoked tobacco. My point is a thousand years is a long time and this point...this point pre-dates even written language!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So happy for your "Banner" old digger :)...again that is such an awesomely perfect find :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Had to be worth the wait! And on a mole hill! It was fitting and proper that a digger's animal totem was responsible for putting it there for you to find...

This is the second point that I have found laying on top of one of those mole hills. I don't have any of those farmed fields to hunt on as some of you others have. It's pretty much grazing ground and sagebrush hardpans.
As for totems, I'll just keep checking out those mole hills after each good rain.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
and after a lightening strike or a brush fire!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and after a lightening strike or a brush fire!

I don't think lightening of fire in itself make the points bare themselves, except a fire may help the ground around the mole hills erode much easier.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes that is just beautiful! Congratulations! :occasion14:

Steve

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find old digger, at least your eyes are still working well, even if your knees don't! :thumbsup:

"I assure you that I did the funky chicken Fetus style". :laughing7:

Congrats on making the BANNER too!
Dave

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to check out a new area where I knew there was a good chance of finding some leaf fossils and in my hunt I came across a small spring. I found the point just above the spring on top of some mole hills. I am so sorry that I didn't have my camera with me as I was carrying some digging tools for getting the fossils and I just didn't think I would need it.

With fake knee's it is impossible to jump, but I assure you that I did the funky chicken Fetus style.

Can you guess how the point got there? Man or wounded animal?

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! A little late to the party, but no shortage of kudos- you knocked it out of the park! YAHOOO! Yakker

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The woolly mammoth coexisted with early humans, who used its bones and tusks for making art, tools, and dwellings, and the species was also hunted for food.[SUP][1][/SUP] It disappeared from its mainland range at the end of the Pleistocene 10,000 years ago, most likely through a combination of climate change, consequent disappearance of its habitat, and hunting by humans."

So the odds of this being the point that killed the last woolly mammoth are about as great as finding such a fine piece. We can dream anyway. This sounds like the beginning of a James Michener novel. What a beautiful piece.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations On the BEAUTIFUL Find.

Davers

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
"The woolly mammoth coexisted with early humans, who used its bones and tusks for making art, tools, and dwellings, and the species was also hunted for food.[SUP][1][/SUP] It disappeared from its mainland range at the end of the Pleistocene 10,000 years ago, most likely through a combination of climate change, consequent disappearance of its habitat, and hunting by humans."

So the odds of this being the point that killed the last woolly mammoth are about as great as finding such a fine piece. We can dream anyway. This sounds like the beginning of a James Michener novel. What a beautiful piece.

...and can you imagine going after one of those fellers with (let's face it) little more than a pointed stick?

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you guess how the point got there? Man or wounded animal?

i wonder about that also

were you at or near an area where other flakes or worked pieces were laying?

Most likely the animals were seeking water and were therefore hunted in the same area. Or it may have been a camp site, and was lost there. I'll need to go back and see if it is possible to find any chips or other artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread