Recommendations for Authenticators

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this is an appropriate question for the forum but since there are a number of authenticators out there offering their services, I thought I would seek recommendations. I am looking for those that are the most respected in the industry--cost is not the determining factor.

I have no provenance on the pieces I have, so authentication would be essential if I decide to sell any. Thanks to one person in the forum, I now know they were producing reproductions even in the late 1920's when these were purchased.

If you want to PM me your answer, that would be fine too.

Thanks

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Depending on where you are located, I might try to drive to a show or meet up with an authenticator somewhere vs mailing them all out.

Tom Davis is in Kentucky.
Jim Bennett is in Ohio.
Jerry Dickey is in Tennessee.
Ben Stermer is out west.
Dwayne Rogers is in Texas.

There are many others out there, this list is just a couple of them by state.

OP
OP
R

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you are located, I might try to drive to a show or meet up with an authenticator somewhere vs mailing them all out.

Tom Davis is in Kentucky.
Jim Bennett is in Ohio.
Jerry Dickey is in Tennessee.
Ben Stermer is out west.
Dwayne Rogers is in Texas.

There are many others out there, this list is just a couple of them by state.

Thanks for the quick response. Driving to the authenticator would be ideal. Are you aware of any in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, or North Carolina?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Thanks for the quick response. Driving to the authenticator would be ideal. Are you aware of any in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, or North Carolina?

John Berner is in Roswell Georgia. Google John Berner Artifacts and his page should come up.

He's not the cheapest guy out there, but I think pretty highly of his opinion. You could spend a lot of money for bad news. Personally, I'd take them to a show first, and if you have multiple people trying to buy them, then you might want to spend the money for a professional opinion.

I believe the Cartersville Relic show is coming up on August 2nd. I've never been and never heard much about it, but it's put on the Central State Archaeological Society, so it should be good.

There is another show in September in Cleveland Georgia.

This link should take you to all of the shows that the Central States puts on in Georgia and Alabama.
Events

OP
OP
R

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Berner is in Roswell Georgia. Google John Berner Artifacts and his page should come up.

He's not the cheapest guy out there, but I think pretty highly of his opinion. You could spend a lot of money for bad news. Personally, I'd take them to a show first, and if you have multiple people trying to buy them, then you might want to spend the money for a professional opinion.

I believe the Cartersville Relic show is coming up on August 2nd. I've never been and never heard much about it, but it's put on the Central State Archaeological Society, so it should be good.

There is another show in September in Cleveland Georgia.

This link should take you to all of the shows that the Central States puts on in Georgia and Alabama.
Events

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Not sure where you are, but Pioneer Days is in Gray Court SC on Saturday September the 13. Artifact Identification will be available there. Identification is free and a couple of the best Archaeologists in the field will be there. I think it costs $5-6 to get in.

OP
OP
R

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you are, but Pioneer Days is in Gray Court SC on Saturday September the 13. Artifact Identification will be available there. Identification is free and a couple of the best Archaeologists in the field will be there. I think it costs $5-6 to get in.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions