A few Guifords and MMs

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few Guifords and MM's

Framed a few of the quartz Guilfords and Morrow Mountains I picked up over the years. These two types are the most common types around my area. Thanks for the look
001.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 010.JPG

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see what the artifacts would look like up there if you guys had flint we find morrow mountain points in northern florida they're huge sometimes

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man!!! That is a very nice tray of artifacts. It's amazing they were able to knap that material as well as they did.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice frame and great points. I find the MM and Guilfords but the Guilfords always seem to be missing the tips. Thanks for the view man

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice frame and great points. I find the MM and Guilfords but the Guilfords always seem to be missing the tips. Thanks for the view man

Same here about the Guilfords. Although I did find one this year that is as good as I've ever found and I've been collecting for 50 years. Tip just slightly dinged. Great display!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful frame SCrocks, thanks for posting. I am curious to know if you intentionally displayed the quartz and quartzite pieces in this frame, or if that is a true representation of the lithics assemblage you find for those two point types in your area?
PS(thank you TNmountains for the link to the previous MM post, and further link to the online reading, I have bookmarked it for later study. It reminded me of something I heard back in the 1970's that, I have not really heard since, probably because it is a theory that has been largely rejected now. Back in the mid 1970's as a youngster I found a broad shouldered stemmed point / "broadspear", my local artifact mentor informed me that any point with the broad shoulders like that was meant to be a war point, because the broad shoulders prevented it from being withdrawn from the enemy without causing even more flesh damage.)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice collection.They must have used allot of the same material in SC as here in VA?

OP
OP
SCrocks

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments folks. Redbeard I would say somewhere around 70% are quartz, 15%rhyolite and about the same shell/slate type materials. Varies some, a little less quartz and a little more rhyolite along the N.C. line. Just something to think about, here are a few good sized rhyolite ones I found. I and everyone I know call them MM's. However a couple years Dr. Goodyear looked at and handled these and some others not pictured and said they were not MM's and were from the woodland period associated with early pottery. A lot younger then MM's. He called them Mac points. Nothing is published on Mac points yet but he said he planed on writing about them at some point. Said he was busy with the Topper site. He said at first they were thought to have a small distrubution range around the center portion of S.C. but disturbution range is larger then first thought.
408.JPG 537.JPG 538.JPG 005.JPG

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments folks. Redbeard I would say somewhere around 70% are quartz, 15%rhyolite and about the same shell/slate type materials. Varies some, a little less quartz and a little more rhyolite along the N.C. line. Just something to think about, here are a few good sized rhyolite ones I found. I and everyone I know call them MM's. However a couple years Dr. Goodyear looked at and handled these and some others not pictured and said they were not MM's and were from the woodland period associated with early pottery. A lot younger then MM's. He called them Mac points. Nothing is published on Mac points yet but he said he planed on writing about them at some point. Said he was busy with the Topper site. He said at first they were thought to have a small distrubution range around the center portion of S.C. but disturbution range is larger then first thought.
View attachment 1038346 View attachment 1038351 View attachment 1038352 View attachment 1038353

Those are some awesome and large points SCrocks ! Very interesting to hear that they may be a new type tentatively called Macs. Did Dr. Goodyear expound on what the identifying differences are between those and MM's? Just wondering if it is the material selection, size, chipping patterns, or who knows what else, (other than thousands of years) that types them different. It has been a while since I desired a "Big Mac", but I sure do now after seeing yours. HH

OP
OP
SCrocks

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Redbeard. He didn't expand on them any and at the time I did't think to ask. He usually attends the artifact show in Camden S.C every year in January. I plan on trying to attend this up coming show and speek to him again about them. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread