What is this little fella??

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
It's been a good while since my last post. I guess I'll pile my summer finds up and make one big thread. I couldn't wait for this one, however. I'm not sure if this is a point, scraper, preform, or a super small guilford axe. I'll show pics. Before I say any thing else.

image-2801934919.jpg

image-33524459.jpg

image-3852260065.jpg

image-3119956265.jpg

image-905275324.jpg

image-568590632.jpg

image-1321742395.jpg

image-689082940.jpg

It is utilized around the entire point, but way to thick at the point to be a projectile. It has one face that is flatter than the other, a common characteristic on axe heads. Any thoughts on this piece are appreciated!

Attachments

• image-1980586361.jpg
    image-1980586361.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have been discarded during manufacture and never used. I sometimes find things where something was not working out and they just chunked them. :dontknow:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly it looks like just a super thick little bifurcated point.. Some might call a "duck stunner" in slang. A sort of blunt.
Or maybe never finished...but it looks done to me...it was probably resharpened down to that nub.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Honestly it looks like just a super thick little bifurcated point.. Some might call a "duck stunner" in slang. A sort of blunt. Or maybe never finished...but it looks done to me...it was probably resharpened down to that nub.
Looks done to me also. Reminds me of this axe that my dad found.

image-778657304.jpg

image-2623884831.jpg

image-162052714.jpg

image-1435015474.jpg

Could it be a kids toy axe? Unlikely, huh? Lol! It's a neat little find!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am thinking along the same lines as Tnmountains and GatorBoy on this one. I would guess it was intended to be a bifurcate era point that just didn't knap down to the usual thinness, at which time they either discarded it in favor of another attempt with a new piece of material, or used it as a hafted blunt / scraper. Looks like there are some stacks, hinges, and poorer material on one blade edge that discouraged further effort with it, and may be why the notches were not knapped deeper as seen on most bifurcates. If the blade edges or tip show use wear, that may indicate it was repurposed as a blunt or scraper, and if not, it may indicate it was rejected or discarded. It think it is too small to have been used as an axe or chopper. I think a large percentage of the artifacts I find here are discards and rejects, rather than used points or tools. There must have been a lot of trial, error and practice involved in learning to knap stone, and thus lots of trial, error and practice pieces left for us to find. JMO of course. HH

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought LeCroy when I first saw it. They might of changed it to a scraper instead of a point. I find all kinds of strange rocks with work done on them that don't look finished. Never know what some things were used for or just tossed. Interesting find

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with Gator. At one point a much larger bifurcated point that has been resharpened to a nub.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it,neat piece

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Rock got it an old beat up Lecroy
I see where you guys come up with Lecroy. I find Lecroy points in the field that this piece came from. Every last Lecroy that I've seen found in my area was almost paper thin and had more definition in bifurcation. I appreciate your voice, but it's hard for me to agree with lecroy. It's not really beat up either.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pic #4 looks like some kinda weird cortex on the tip that was left there. Good news is they were thinking bifurcate on your site.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
pic #4 looks like some kinda weird cortex on the tip that was left there. Good news is they were thinking bifurcate on your site.
I find lots of bifurcated pieces in this field. Lots of big sandy, guilford, Savannah river, Stanley, morrow mt. And drills. It's a nice spot. This little piece is an odd one. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a toss out. It's utilized along the entire tip. One face has large reduction flakes and the other small detailed reduction. It may be an old school "rubber bullet" or "stunner". It could also be a bifurcate that was salvaged and used as a hafted scraper..... I think. I have never seen another piece like this one. Not that it's all that, it's just strange!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very possible on the end scraper. I find allot of hafted scrapers and all of them use to be bifurcated before. You can see where the little legs use to be on the hafting end. Like this Heart Breaker I found the other day.

Attachments

• SDC11365.JPG
    SDC11365.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC11364.JPG
    SDC11364.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Very possible on the end scraper. I find allot of hafted scrapers and all of them use to be bifurcated before. You can see where the little legs use to be on the hafting end. Like this Heart Breaker I found the other day.
I do not doubt you for one minute Rock. That piece, with it's width and thinness, reminds me of paleo era. By "all were once bifurcated", you mean on certain sites, right? I have a Stanley rework found in the field with this piece. I need to add a pic of it here. It's a stemmed bifurcate. Thanks for the backing Rock! You have had a sweet summer. You have posted some nice stuff!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not doubt you for one minute Rock. That piece, with it's width and thinness, reminds me of paleo era. By "all were once bifurcated", you mean on certain sites, right? I have a Stanley rework found in the field with this piece. I need to add a pic of it here. It's a stemmed bifurcate. Thanks for the backing Rock! You have had a sweet summer. You have posted some nice stuff!

Thanks I need to find some more, lol. Just been so darn hot this summer I hope the winter is mild. But if its to mild then the fields will grow back quick. Its hard to walk 20 fields all at the same time before the green grows over them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread