1,800,000 years in a bowl

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I realized I haven't posted any pictures here recently, so here are approximately 1,800,000 years of East Texas points in bowl.

I need to reorganize my San Patrice points into a larger frame, so I put all of them inside a Mayan pottery bowl until the larger frame arrives.

San Patrice points have been dated to 10,400 to 9,000 RCYBP (when calibrated that's about 10,000 BC.) San Patrice makers probably bumped into Dalton, Folsom and Cody makers at times. Folsom are older (10,800 to 10,000 RCYBP at Blackwater Draw), but San Patrice overlapped of the Folsom tradition at the tail end, and probably extended into what we think of as the early Archaic. You'll notice a lot of variation in the bowl, and they are better thought of as a cluster of related types vs a single type.

One of the things that I like the most about this cluster of points is that they show their relation to many different types, they are kind of the best missing link out there. They are one of the last true paleo lance point styles, but some examples show notching. Some are clearly fluted like earlier Clovis, most are thinned like Daltons. They have been found on sites with Dalton, Midland, Scottsbluff, and Early Side Notch (Graham Cave, Cache River, etc.) points. Some of them are beveled on one side and resharpened like Red River Cody knives from the West and Edgefield Scrapers from the East.

150 points X 12,000 years old=1,800,000 years of history.

San Patrice.jpg

The frame to show the variation before I added a bunch more to the flock.

San Patrice 1.jpg

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome frame NOTWORTY !!!!!! Thanks for sharing ;)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking Points Joshua. Did the get the ones that Mark was selling? There were some killers in that bunch.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those look like Hardaways. Nice assortment of points, thanks for the post.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great educational post and collection.Always appreciate your knowledge. If they were from my area I could see where it world morph into say a Brewerton in a thousand years. Thanks for sharing. I am sure the Mayan bowl does not know what to think of these Texas points!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thank you for the post I could see them morphing into Greenbriers down here.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of those look like Hardaways. Nice assortment of points, thanks for the post.

Middle vertical column, 3rd point from top, really could pass as Hardaway Side Notch, or maybe Hardaway-Dalton. . Great frame!

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection, thanks for the look.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Finally got the frame and managed to get all of them in there. Mostly found in East Texas, but a couple from Louisiana in there as well. The bottom row are some odd early points (Wilson, early stemmed, etc.) found with these points. I found a few more hiding in another frame, so 169 or so pieces in here.

I still need to spend more time sorting these, I've kind of gotten them arranged by type, but had to rush at the end.

San Patrice 2.jpg

San Patrice 3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread