This may seem crazy.....

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I admit, I am guilty of keeping every speck of flint I come across. That may seem a little bit crazy to most hunters, but today I found one that validates my obsessive flake hoarding problem. After cleaning off my "haul" of flakes, I realized there was a small broken triangle point mixed in. Birdies are common in my field so it's not find of a lifetime or anything. What makes this unique is that it looks like it was re-purposed into a burin or something. I know the native Americans didn't like to waste anything, but if this was in fact re-purposed, it was done by someone who very frugal and wasted nothing.

ForumRunner_20140921_203349.png

ForumRunner_20140921_203410.png

ForumRunner_20140921_203446.png

ForumRunner_20140921_203510.png

ForumRunner_20140921_203538.png

Hopefully I will find some real artifacts here soon to show off because this is a pretty lame post compared to other member's killer finds recently. I hope some of you keep the flakes you find too. If not, this might make you start. Besides, finding things like this is the only reason my wife allows me to have buckets of flakes taking up space in the house, so to me it's totally worth it!

H.H. ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally wouldn't post it either, but up until this morning, it's been pretty slim pickins' for me lately. When you're bored and not finding anything, i guess you do what you have to do to keep the artifact juices flowing. Gnome sayin'? :)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be pointing out the obvious here but we've been referring to points made on flakes not spalls.. that never went through the process of thinning and creating a biface,preform..ect...

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be pointing out the obvious here but we've been referring to points made on flakes not spalls.. that never went through the process of thinning and creating a biface,preform..ect...
That's, what Im talking about. A flake that came off in the process of reducing a pre form and wasn't initially to be used. After seeing the shape of the random flake, it was then worked into a tool.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I will show this one its a flake on one side and worked on the other. They made it into a small corner notched point. It would of took down a person if it had to. I believe these types were Mississippian Period points.

Attachments

• SDC11484.JPG
    SDC11484.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 73

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread