jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So last night I TRADED with a friend at the local coin club. He got a pile of coins and I got this awesome Indian Artifact. I was told it could be from Southern Delaware and that it is a knife. Looks fairly complete and it is still sharp! As soon as we finalized the trade, another person at the coin club offered $75 for it (I declined)!

I only have a basic knowledge of Indian Artifacts but I love them! What do you think of this one?

Attachments

• IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good decline!I believe he would have got you big time on that one.I would take a shot at it,but I will leave that to the experts!I am still on the basic level myself.I do believe it is a very nice BIG knife!

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome to this side of the forum!

I hope the pile of coin wasn't to big.

I understand the excitement of getting into NA artifacts, but I seriously doubt that that is a piece worth those kind of dollars in today's market.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the person back that offered $75 for it and take it. It was a good offer for you and not the person that offered. Its a nice knife but $75 was more than fair

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the person back that offered $75 for it and take it. It was a good offer for you and not the person that offered. Its a nice knife but $75 was more than fair
Really?I would think a piece like that would at least be in the lower hundreds.The market must have really dropped!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks perfect to me JerseyBen. Hard to put a price on something until they figure out the "type". It could easily command $75.00 to a local collector. Kind of looks like maybe a corner notch like a "Benton" not sure if they have them there? It is sure older than any coins that is for sure.
Hopefully someone that knows typology will chime in
HH

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree that it is a very nice large knife. I surface hunt for artifacts a little bit in southern Delaware, and could not confirm or deny that your piece came from there. The style and material do not look familiar to me, but that should be taken with a grain of salt. Southern Delaware artifacts are predominantly made from relatively small cobbles that were deposited by the ancestral Delaware and Susquehanna rivers, long ago, and thus most chipped stone artifacts there are on the small side. The larger knives are usually made of jasper mined in northern Delaware or in PA, Rhyolite which came from across the Chesapeake Bay in northern MD and southern PA, or from "Ironstone" which was mined from a couple small islands in the headwaters of the Chesapeake. If it was found in southern DE it would have good value because chipped artifacts of that size are scarce there.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
To reply to an earlier inquiry, I traded roughly $50 worth of coins for this knife.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Nice knife, IMOH it looks like a Hopewell, kind of related to the Snyders, in the last few years there is more mound builder sites and material being discovered in Del.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread