DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
010.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG 008.JPG I found these about a few months back at a place I refer to as quartz Hill,all the pieces I found there have been quarts.I have been researching but I just can't nail down the types of some.The bifurcated one, I have seen 'somewhat" similar examples, but not sure what to call it?The smaller rounded one,is it just a exhausted point?The closest I found to it is called a Thebes point?

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think its a Thebes but hopefully Viking will chime in today and give his knowledge on your finds. 2 nice finds

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what state you're in but let's say you're in South Carolina I would say the first one was a exhausted Big Sandy Contracting base and the second one and exhausted Pine tree.
Pine tree projectile points normally have serrated blade edges but it seems it would be really hard to tell on that piece

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the bifurcated point would fall into the "St. Albans" type, some of them are taller and thinner than most bifurcates, and have less prominent shoulders, as yours appears to exhibit.
The other point is hard to tell, I have a couple similar and am not sure what to call them either? White quartz was often hard to knapp well, and thus many quartz points of certain types do not end up looking like classic examples of those types. I think yours is either a Kirk corner notched point that has been re-worked/re-sharpened, or more likely is a mid archaic unnamed type, that falls time wise between the Kirk and Brewerton corner notched varieties. JMO & HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread