Sometimes Things Are Just Meant To Be Found.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to go bow hunting today, but the wind was blowing real hard . So I waited and went toward the mid day and the wind just did not wont to lay down, so I decided to try to make a stalk hunt. I came across some fresh hog signs and fell in behind them. They had really tore up a ridge top, I knew they were real close and I keep my eyes looking for movement, but I could not keep from looking at the dirt they had turned over. I had almost walked past this and the sun changed and I spotted the edge. At first I thought it was a piece of pottery, till I got a closer look and then I thought it was going to be broke. 10-5-14 002.JPG When I pulled it out all I could say was( Thank You Jesus), 10-5-14 003.JPG it is such a rush when you find a nice piece, I forgot all about the hogs. This is the first whole gorget that I have ever found and the only one made from slate. Slate is something that does not come from this area, so it had to be traded into this area. I wiped it off the best I could but was to scared to dig out the dirt in the holes. 10-5-14 006.JPG So when I got home I got out the dental pick and went to work with it and the electric tooth brush and this is a cleaned up photo. 10-5-14 013.JPG
I have always had to dig, walk fields and creeks to find things, this has made me think of the things that are just laying out there to be found by someone. I did not have artifact hunting on my mind due to all the leaves that have fallen, but I can't keep my eye's off of fresh dirt. It's going to be a long deer season I think.

Upvote 0

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck is a Gorget???

I wondered that too so I Googled it. Apparently a gorget is typically a protective piece of armor for a soldier's throat/neck area. In this case it is probably decorative but I suppose it could be functional as well. It's beautiful, whatever it is...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered that too so I Googled it. Apparently a gorget is typically a protective piece of armor for a soldier's throat/neck area. In this case it is probably decorative but I suppose it could be functional as well. It's beautiful, whatever it is...

With respect to the artifact above the name gorget is European and was given to these artifacts by Europeans only because of how similar they look it really has nothing to do with describing their function

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find there, Congrats !!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that's a nice find! It's one of those finds that you just got to keep looking at the rest of the day. You got a Banner vote from me on that! Good luck!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty material on that one, congrats

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful piece.That is a high-end piece of the sort from what I have seen.What beautiful bands it has!RARE! My vote is in!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone I wanted to take it to work but thought I would wreck the truck looking at it. I just got in had a 17hr. day and 675 miles. Saw where some wanted to see other side, it did not clean up as good a the other side. 002.JPG Got to get back at it by 2am, once again Thanks for all the votes and compliments.:notworthy:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
INSTABANNER!!

wow monster your good karma is rewarding you once again

just beautiful

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Any "gorget" is a scarce find. A complete gorget is exceptional. A complete gorget intentionally incorporating the materials natural concentric banding, and exhibiting "tally' marks as well... I can't think of an appropriate adjective to describe how wonderful that is! Congratulations, and you have my banner vote as well. HH

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for showing the other side for me. WOW!! Looking at the first pic in this thread spins my head around. I wander if I've ever stomped over any thing like this. Tell me this!! Is a big buck better than finding this? For me, the answer is no.

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread