Been a bit flakey lately...

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a quick guide to knapping? I'd like to know a little more about what step in the knapping process the flakes I find were a part of. The one in these pics looks a little different than the others and just wondering about it.

WP_20141022_001.jpg WP_20141022_002.jpg WP_20141022_003.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flat part is the striking platform. The bulb of percussion should be rite behind the flat part. You should be able to feel it with your fingers. If there is cortex on the flake then it is from the outer section of the mother stone. If no cortex then it could be another layer.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly what I needed to know, thanks rock! I've noticed something else about the flakes. I use a garden rake and gently rake the sand bars letting the water wash thru it and the same with pebble bars and the flakes always have unique appearances that you can't miss...usually the color is different than everything else. The only thing is I gotta be fast because they are so light they try to get away.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I spot the pottery. Pottery will tumble cause it so lite in weight

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep pottery does that too and in looking for it I find the flakes lol This week I've found 2 flakes in the "old" spot where I first started finding shards last year.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting anymore rain? there is no rain insight for us. Tomorrow will be a good day for the yard work for me. I will see how long it takes me, lol

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No rain in sight until next week...after that awesome point you found a couple days ago I'm thinking the yard work will be done in record time! lol HH

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought but if I were in a situation where I was finding small flakes and pottery shards in any number on a bar I would head upstream to the next gathering of material to look for the heavier items like points.. Or even focus on the upstream leading edge of that particular area

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No rain in sight until next week...after that awesome point you found a couple days ago I'm thinking the yard work will be done in record time! lol HH

Thanks that's funny Peaches I was thinking the same thing

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought but if I were in a situation where I was finding small flakes and pottery shards in any number on a bar I would head upstream to the next gathering of material to look for the heavier items like points.. Or even focus on the upstream leading edge of that particular area

Yep I was doing that and totally neglecting this spot until the two heavy rains washed all the limbs and fallen trees into a big wad complete with a snake in it...but my boy and a friend are supposed to get that all sawed up and out for me soon.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most knapped flakes will have a curve to them, some times it is real hard to see, but the shock wave from knapping travels from thick to thin at an angle. Keep looking you will knock us out one day with a great find:thumbsup:

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most knapped flakes will have a curve to them, some times it is real hard to see, but the shock wave from knapping travels from thick to thin at an angle. Keep looking you will knock us out one day with a great find:thumbsup:

I have several with that curve and can't help but think that somewhere there's something really nice made from those flakes. Hoping to find something really awesome someday soon! ;-)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big are the top 2 ? Also lets see a closer shot of the tan one on the left side. I found a point this yr that was made from a flake.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20141023_002.jpg WP_20141023_003.jpg WP_20141023_004.jpg

This one almost looks like a tiny tiny point and is my favorite flake WP_20141023_007.jpg

Oh and my fingers aren't really all that red...just been doing dishes and had them in the cold creek water earlier this afternoon. lol Maybe I need to put some lotion on them.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I guess just flakes. Looks like you have a nice frame behind you favorite flake you are holding. Lets see some of those. How long have you been hunting that creek? Believe it or not you can hunt a creek out by going to the same one to often. I did that last yr now just waiting for some hard rain to turn some dirt.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it took all day to paint the porch but its done looks really brown. They should of a set color called porch brown so everyone can get the color rite the first time. Its staying either way.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Some more flakes and these are the ones I hope to find the end results of :wink: Specially the little orangey one!

View attachment 1070544

i like the little orangey piece also........

....now just to the lower left of it is the amber colored is a piece that almost looks like it could have maybe been a little expediant graver tool......

......now just to the left of that amber colored piece is the small pinkish/gray piece that looks like it is a 'utilized flake' of some sort also.....

i am just guessing and could be very mistaken on this but just sayin'.....that's all

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I guess just flakes. Looks like you have a nice frame behind you favorite flake you are holding. Lets see some of those. How long have you been hunting that creek? Believe it or not you can hunt a creek out by going to the same one to often. I did that last yr now just waiting for some hard rain to turn some dirt.

Been hunting it for a year and a half but this section I left alone all Summer and concentrated on the area where the trees are until it got messed up and pretty far downstream. Those you see in the pic are the Savannah Rivers, big one is the knife I found upstream stuck in the rocks (I think the bank was frozen and it fell out because it had no creek patina on it) the small one I found last Spring on the water's edge in the spot I've been finding the flakes lately. Tomorrow my son and I are going to clean up the mess and hopefully that last rain brought something down my way.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it took all day to paint the porch but its done looks really brown. They should of a set color called porch brown so everyone can get the color rite the first time. Its staying either way.

lol ... I'm sure it's real nice and now you have time to hunt more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread