monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear folks talking about patina on artifact and when they seem to have a stain from something then they are real in some folks eyes but when there is no patina then RED flags go a flying. Patina comes from the matrix that is around a artifact, so if found in the same field and creek then they should have the same patina right, no that is wrong. In this great country we have all types of soils and water ways and everyone makes a different patina. What you find on one point in one field may not be the same across the road and what you may find in a creek should have the same patina every time right, wrong again. This photo shows my point to this thread, all of these artifacts where found in the same creek, in the same water, but look at the difference in the patina, some are heavy and some show hardly none at all. patina 001.JPG All the artifacts shown in the photo was found within 1/4mi of each other

Don't let patina stain be your ruling judge on a artifact, learn what the chipping should look like for that style and stone type for that part of the country. So many pass judgment on artifacts because the patina is not what it looks like around their area or what they have seen from other artifacts. Like the artifacts I have shown they don't always have patina on them.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some areas of the country are just known for the predominance of heavy patina such as southwest Georgia... Recently I commented on a find a beautiful one at that made by Americus.. My comment in that instance about whether or not he soaked it to clarify the patina was by no means a red flag in that instance I know of at least one field of his that's very sandy that produces very little patina on the artifacts he has also found some agatized coral in that field.... in a roundabout way I was just hoping for him to describe which field he found it.
Sometimes points here can have completely different patinas 10 feet away from each other
. one being mixed in with shells and another not... or even a recent fire ant pile can completely change the look...
Generally speaking here in Florida if something was found in one of the rivers in a certain part of the state a lot of us can pick out exactly what River immediately by looking at it of course there are exceptions but when you know an area you inevitably get to know the patina that's most common for the area.
It's very hard if not nearly impossible to judge anything completely by looking at photographs you've proven that by posting ones you've made yourself and added fake patina... So in that instance looking at the flaking wasn't going to do a whole lot if the person who did the knapping was knowledgeable... Just saying.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mistaking a recent break on this one either..

attachment-13-1.jpg

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a wonderful creek you are hunting there Monsterrack ! Good info by posted by you and Gatorboy. It is interesting that there are also flaked stone artifacts found that will have a different patina on each side of the artifact, indicating the different exposures to the elements that can happen depending upon how the artifact is positioned to the soils around it. Another important aspect regarding patina, and maybe the most important, it the type of lithic. Some stones will weather, deteriorate, or patina different than others, located in the same environments. HH

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is right redbeardrelics, some stone is affected by UV rays and some are not. The creek that those artifacts came out of is mostly filtered sun light,
if you look real close at the stone, you can tell the ones with the dark stain are more pourers and it being that way I believe micro organisms can attach themselves to it. Then once that happens they build up with time, if that makes sense.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator that sure is heart breaker , what type of material is it. It looks like it has been though hell.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that poor thing has been through a lot.
Its fossil coral

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can see polyps in one of these photos.. This is one crusty dude

IMG_20140521_144247.jpg

attachment-19-1.png

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Great info guys, love that crusty chunk of coral, Gator. Most of the stuff I find around here seems to show little to no patina, with a few exceptions. The first pics are of a ugly blade/preform thing found in two pieces about 15' apart. Each half has a different patina on both sides. Next is the only Quartzite piece out of a dozen or more that shows any creek stain. The next piece is some black chert with some funky patina on the outside, but showing the nice black stuff at the break.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0690 (1024x681).jpg
    DSC_0690 (1024x681).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0894 (1024x681).jpg
    DSC_0894 (1024x681).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0895 (1024x681).jpg
    DSC_0895 (1024x681).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 124

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey monsterrack!! You guys amaze me with your finds!! Thanks for the info!! Hope you're well up in the hills of the Natchez!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good info from both you guys- thanks monsterrack for the thread. Perhaps I might add that some say don't wash yer points... Patina doesn't wash off.

Yak

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true just don't wash them in acid ... For Pete's sake

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true just don't wash them in acid ... For Pete's sake YIKES!!! NNNnnnoooooooooo! Yakker

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Tnmountains saying something about that

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it...nice!
He's getting away with that on material real high in silica... If he were to try that on some stuff of a little different composition he could completely destroy what he was cleaning very easily.
I never understood why somebody would want their old things to look new myself

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you see the before pic? That's not mud, its a crusty/funky kind of stuff that does not wash off. In most instances I agree not to over clean any artifacts, but in this case I think I would have done the same. I believe his thought was that he would never sell, so it didn't matter if they appeared too clean.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I saw the photo I've had to deal with a lot of stuff like that on fossils a long soak in mineral oil may have softened that up enough to be removed but to each their own

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread