Marking finds

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Good question. I have not personally done it yet, but have been thinking about it for a long time, and my only reservation now is determining what sort of site location / numbering system I want to use. I think the white out is used as a base layer for two purposes, first to enable you to see the darker ink number and letters better, and second to prevent any of the wrong type permanent inks from penetrating into the artifact. After the white out is applied, and then the ink numbering, many people use a harder clear coat of some type on top to prevent or minimize smearing of the ink.
I asked one of our local archaeologists about this subject at the last artifact show I attended, he indicated that he had access to a type of high tech printer ( laser, microdot, something or other I don't know) that would clearly print out the site numbering system so that he would not have to hand write it, and then he would apply that to the artifact some how. I am curious to hear how other members here document their points?

OP
OP
eppingera

eppingera

Aug 29, 2012
Yes that was another question I had Redbeardrelics, where is the best place to locate the mark on the artifact. I assume anyplace that wouldn't cover up critical elements for identification.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
redbeardrelics wrote:

"After the white out is applied, and then the ink numbering, many people use a harder clear coat of some type on top to prevent or minimize smearing of the ink."

I used clear fingernail polish remover and coat the number or legend on the piece. That protects it from erasure and/or fading ink. I say "used" because eventually I switched to red bordered antique labels as seen on this point. It's easier and harder to screw up then writing right on the piece. Personal finds are no different; I'll put the antique labels on larger artifacts. But, for points, most are too small to smother with a label, so I just frame them by site found, and then label the case somehow. The antique labels are near impossible to find I think? I bought out a stationary store of antique labels of various sizes when they went out of business long ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 85

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes, I'll try to cram as much info as possible on a label. This gouge was found on the West shore of the West branch of the Westport River, in Westport, Ma. It faded though, simply because I neglected to coat it with clear fingernail polish remover. BTW, the location is a development now, so I'm not giving a site away here:laughing7:

Can also create a numbering system as already suggested. I used to do that; here's a piece found when I was a kid getting off the school bus one day. I coated it with the polish remover, but you can't see the glean of it in this photo(D 5). I gave up this method on points because you have to be so careful writing clearly on rock. Make a mistake, not easy to correct! Make a mistake with a label, just start a new one. Still, writing directly on the piece, whether a number or the actual site spelled out, is hard to beat as a permanent mark. If the material is smooth, like the banded slate bannerstone below, you can spell the location safely on the piece, with steady hands!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I just trace the outline of a point on paper and add info like color, material, type, location of find and any other identifying marks like stacks and hinges. I plan on putting this info on individual cards and adding them to the back of each frame so the info stays with the piece.

OP
OP
eppingera

eppingera

Aug 29, 2012
Good suggestions, thanks. Charl, did you mean clear nail polish?

OP
OP
eppingera

eppingera

Aug 29, 2012
I just trace the outline of a point on paper and add info like color, material, type, location of find and any other identifying marks like stacks and hinges. I plan on putting this info on individual cards and adding them to the back of each frame so the info stays with the piece.

I also started tracing the outlines into a journal but haven't really kept up with it. I should dig it back out and work on it during these cold winter months...

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you use b-72 ( Google it) dissolves in acetone. Paint it on. Drys like glass. Then mark numbers etc on piece. Then another coat of b-72 to protect numbers. To remove slimply put in acetone and it will break down as if it was not there.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take digital photos of my finds and keep them in files on my computer. I file them by location and date. I can print a hard copy if I need to. I think there may be software available to document one's finds.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I take digital photos of my finds and keep them in files on my computer. I file them by location and date. I can print a hard copy if I need to. I think there may be software available to document one's finds.

that's what I do too, these days there is no need to mark them at all.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's what I do too, these days there is no need to mark them at all.

Good point! I'm still in the 20th century I guess. Might do "hard copy" labeling anyway, for the day the Chinese knock out our power grid nation wide.:laughing7:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good point! I'm still in the 20th century I guess. Might do "hard copy" labeling anyway, for the day the Chinese knock out our power grid nation wide.:laughing7:

...I get that in spades! I don't know how many times I have wondered about some obscure fact and then days later thought..."why not look that up on the internet?"

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always print a picture of the find with location and date noted on it. Then put them in a binder sorted by the site it was found at.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe nail polish is a horrible idea. This is not cool and is clearly not a good idea for a artifact. Having hard copies somewhere does not help either if you dissappear under gods grace. Then what. If you really want the the best way to mark a artifact the right way, so no damage is done please read my last post. If you don't care then use nail polish or what ever or leave it in writing , preferably Vega be base ink so the info dissappear so when wet. ... sorry to ramble but if I had one piece I would cherish it and respect it. I guess when you pillage buckets it make you lazy. Imo

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Surgical tape, probably from c. 1950's. Can you think of an uglier way to mark an artifact? Some old timers did and I wish they hadn't. I sold this gouge to a friend, included some labels, and he corrected the situation. IMHO, if you can fit location info on a piece in some manner, direct or by label, that's still best, because the info will always travel with the piece. I appreciate the 21st century methods available, but records, hard copy or digital, can be lost or destroyed. Of course, you can't fit several lines of location text on a point!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 86

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another artifact with nail polish brushed over inscription. Still no harm apparent, after 20+ years. The site is now developed. Don't know anyone who has ever had a problem with clear nail polish in this fashion. If it works, and does no harm, there should be no problem.
Point was marked 30 years ago. Absolutely no harm has come to the point from clear fingernail polish. If there is something wrong/harmful, it should be spelled out exactly why it is a "horrible idea". If one cannot demonstrate the alleged "harm", then why even make such statements???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is evident there are several opinions on the best way to mark a find. There are good points to each method so it is just a matter of choosing the one you like. I will say one more thing about the digital/ hard copy method. Heaven forbid that the records be lost or destroyed but I would like to have a separate record of my finds in case they were lost or stolen! With that being said I will shut up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread