Hardstone ID request

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Found this interesting item in a rock shelter yesterday...4 inches long, half inch diameter, highly polished, boat or soap stone? Flat as a pancake on the bottom. The black area of it feels raised...I can catch my finger nail on it ever so slightly...could be just part of stone though.

Attachments

• securedownload-11.jpeg
    securedownload-11.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 128
  • securedownload-20.jpeg
    securedownload-20.jpeg
    616.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but from what I see in your pics it looks natural to me. I don't see any evidence of it being altered by man.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Sorry, but from what I see in your pics it looks natural to me. I don't see any evidence of it being altered by man.

Thanks SV..after looking at the pics..have to agree with you but you know I don't post junk. Better images or seeing it would prove otherwise..with that in mind..does it resemble an artifact of known nature? Polished stones in a shelter are impossible. This piece has visible witness marks vertically and horizontally, smooth as a baby's but on all surfaces and flat as a pancake on the bottom. It is an artifact or a planted piece in a rock shelter found at a depth of 18inches associated with a Pine Tree point

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
As a poster of junk, my opinion may be of no value. However, I've found pieces with slightly raised dark lines like your piece has. Going by my finds, I have thought the dark lines could be the remains of leather or some kind of adhesive. In my experience the dark area makes a thin line around the stone in a fashion ideal for hafting. I do think you have an artifact of some sort here. I believe you have your hopes up pretty high with the boat stone. I think it's a quick production. A stone that needed little work to serve its function. Hey!! It may have been an important tool. Cool piece!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
kind of small and thin to be useful...and wouldn't you say TOO polished considering how crude it is?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being found that deep it probably was carried in, but I don't see evidence of it being altered by man in your pictures. Are the ends battered any?

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Being found that deep it probably was carried in, but I don't see evidence of it being altered by man in your pictures. Are the ends battered any?

I must agree my pics (smartphone) are horrible...I'll retake them with my digital cam and throw them back up. Ends are perfectly smooth and round. It's semicircle shaped. Showed it to a local collector today and he told me what he thinks it is but I'd like to have this boards opinion to confirm or deny.

Attachments

• semicircle.png
    semicircle.png
    962 bytes · Views: 186

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are pestle grinders- and there are horizontally employed grinders. I have found rocks in areas I was certain were used by later, more sedentary peoples. Being in a rock shelter.. that would be earlier, no? Unless a shelter used to escape encroaching 'pioneers' of one variety or another. Something carried along to grind grain/ etc. in a last ditch effort to survive (as hunting would mean exposure). My mind is full of imaginative scenarios. Pure speculation here ;) Yakker

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a tie on banner found in my area it looked close to your find but the one I saw had a groove on each end for cordage to tie it on. Could be a preform not finished.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Given the location you found it, makes it seem almost certain that it is an artifact. It does look to have some nice use polish, and I find NC Field Hunter's thoughts on the blackish residue intriguing. Without any pecking or grinding wear evident, I would also assume it may be a naturally formed rock that they picked up and used somehow on soft materials such as leather, wood, fiber, etc. It would be interesting but probably cost prohibitive to have the black residue analyzed somehow. HH

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the geology of your area but it strikes me as a fossil

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bingo! Nice job Rock!

Thanks its a shame it wasn't complete. The guy I know has it in his collection quite a rare piece cause I have only seen the 1 found in my area. His appears to be made of creek rock due to it being a rougher stone in texture. He didn't know what his was till I told him.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
1320, what did you decide the dark raised area may be? I also have a question for you. I have a piece that is strange. No one can say if it's natural or not. I've had quite a few people look this one over, and no one really knows. The half circle ends on your piece remind me of what I have. Can you share your thoughts on this? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417300486.462892.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417300506.737829.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417300525.228528.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417300540.652457.jpg
Thanks!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
this piece of yours looks like it has a lot of hand wear on it....is that from you or was it found with that patina?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread