DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
026.JPG 027.JPG Put on my poncho on this afternoon and took a walk over to a soybean field they cut not to long ago.Terrible condition for artifact hunting because of the left over soy plants covering the ground like straw.Some of the edges going around the field were a little exposed in places so I made the best of it and came out with this little guy.By far the smallest point I have found.It has some damage around the tip,I am thinking prehistoric damage but not sure.Hope everyone has a good turkey day!

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just checked Noel Justice's "Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States" and he indicates Va is out of range for Brewerton Corner and Side Notch. Northern Va. is included in the range for Brewerton Eared-Notched and Eared-Triangle. I think the point looks more Halifax related anyway. Brewerton notches aren't usually that wide.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are often named for the site in which they are first found in a datable context. Orient Fishtail points were first excavated in context in Orient, Long Island. And similar looking points are going by different names in different regions. It's one of the facts that makes typing points tough. It's possible the people who developed that online Va typology don't regard Brewerton as a style found in Va., or else very rarely. Collectors can dispute that, I'm not fluent with Va. points.
i wouldn't think Va. was that far south of the known range.
I read that about the fishtails somewhere.I have a couple of pieces I am not sure about but they resemble fishtails.That's what I am calling them right now until I find out otherwise. It bugs me sometimes when I can't put my finger on exactly what something is,I guess the research is something else that makes point collecting so interesting to me.I collect other stuff like coins and civil war relics.But I find native artifact collecting to be much more interesting and more exhilarating to find when the finds come along.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I just checked Noel Justice's "Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States" and he indicates Va is out of range for Brewerton Corner and Side Notch. Northern Va. is included in the range for Brewerton Eared-Notched and Eared-Triangle. I think the point looks more Halifax related anyway. Brewerton notches aren't usually that wide.

I agree, the right side of the first pic is very Halifax looking. I think he is located in Halifax heaven as well. DigIron, I understand your confusion on viewing some online ID sites. I think some sites just want large numbers of examples even if they are well outside of their own description.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I still believe the point in question is Halifax related, I guess the distribution range for Brewertons is debatable. This map is from the Projectile Points Typology Database. I guess opinions can change with new info. Are there newer additions of "Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States", Charl, or are you refering to the one published in the late 80s? I know it is a well respected book.

Brewerton%20Eared%20Triangle.GIF

Last edited:

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a spear tip on eastern Long Island. It is White Quartz and 2-1/2 inches long where it broke at the end. Is it common to find spear tips on Long Island?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a spear tip on eastern Long Island. It is White Quartz and 2-1/2 inches long where it broke at the end. Is it common to find spear tips on Long Island?

Walk beaches,with rocks, near tidal estuaries, or where a stream drains. Walk farmer's fields, with permission, and located near fresh water. After heavy rains wash the field. The result will be plenty of artifacts once you developed an eye for it. Eastern Long Island has the same point types as southern New England. No reason for "tips" or anything else to be uncommon. Just the opposite. Plenty of good hunting locations in Eastern Long Island.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread