illinois axe

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Thanksgiving I'm spending with my folks in Michigan.My brother came up from Illinois.We got to talking about an axehead that my buddy had found this year in Maine.He left the room and came back with this I damn near cried.My brother doesn't artifact hunt but this was probably one of the only things left he had that was given to him by our deceased dad.He said he had had it long enough.I may never find one.But I am the very very proud owner of an unblemished unplow struck axehead.I believe it to be a 3/4 grooved Keokuk axe.I don't know if I'm correct.Anybody out there familiar with this type of axe...mjm IMG_20141127_082340_739.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not whistling Dixie GaRebel....He's my only brother. if he wasn't he would upon receiving this be my favorite...mjm

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ax glad to got it for your collection.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, man! Another thing to be grateful for-- brothers ;) Yakker

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: That sure is a beauty, and an awesome tribute of friendship. Nothing better than keeping those things in the family.

p.s. Good to hear that you made it safely to Michigan.

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
I would sure be happy to have received that ax. I would call it a 3/4 groove, which are usually flat on one end. Keokuk axes are flat on both ends. From the picture I cannot verify whether it is a 3/4 groove or a full groove because I can't tell for sure if the end not shown is flat or not. Either way it's a nice ax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread