Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"MICROSCOPIC ANALYSIS UTILIZED IN THE IDENTIFICATION OF CUTTING,
SCRAPING AND WHITTLING ACTIVITIES ON FLAKE TOOLS"

Hartstene Island (Puget Sound)
frame 2.jpg

Qwu?gwes site (Puget Sound)
frame 1.jpg

Sunken Village (Columbia River Island between Washington and Oregon)
frame 3.jpg

Link to Washington State University Flake Tool micro analysis:

http://www.dissertations.wsu.edu/Thesis/Fall2007/g_loffler_112707.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
The two places I beach hunt have a large of amount of debitage, with few "worked" tools. I've been defining a lot of finds as "quick and dirty" tools. Break a rock... Pick a sharp piece... Use it and then toss...

I was surprised that microscopic analysis on beach worn flakes would not only validate that they were in fact used as tools, but also often indicate what work the flakes were used to do.

gofish

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two places I beach hunt have a large of amount of debitage, with few "worked" tools. I've been defining a lot of finds as "quick and dirty" tools. Break a rock... Pick a sharp piece... Use it and then toss...

I was surprised that microscopic analysis on beach worn flakes would not only validate that they were in fact used as tools, but also often indicate what work the flakes were used to do.

Thanks for the look, and the link ! I've wondered about that myself.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the report and pics of the bladelettes! I remember reading somewhere else on the topic of microscopic proof-- that some blades were used and others simply the result of common and natural breakage. With the absence of pressure flaking along an edge, it's hard to know- or be vaguely accurate concerning whether the piece was used or not. Considering our (as a community) usual jump- making the assumption that if we see no pressure flaking or micro-flaking in a photo someone posts, we dismiss it as 'just a rock'. Other times we figure it to be debitage from the creation of a tool or point. Granted, many folks would never dream of the detailed thought and analysis involved in actually proving such a thing. The piece I read on it was the first eye-opener, but this sheds a who new light on it all. Fascinating stuff! Keep up the good work! Yakker

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i have that very same flake tool that is illustrated in the abstract! ...and yes, found on a Washington beach.

Attachments

• DSC01502.JPG
    DSC01502.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 82

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread