Opinions on this stone found with some of my Grandfathers stuff.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
A few years ago I was helping my brother clean out the garage and barn of our Grandparents home. I found a box with a bunch of odds and ends as well as this stone.
The "edges" have been worked, or so it looks to me. You can see the scratches all of the way around. The stone is pretty smooth.
What do all of you think?

VPR

Attachments

• 002_1_1.JPG
    002_1_1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 014_1_3.JPG
    014_1_3.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 119
  • 015_1_3.JPG
    015_1_3.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 018_1_6.JPG
    018_1_6.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 020_1_5.JPG
    020_1_5.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 024_1_3.JPG
    024_1_3.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could be a dinosaur gizzard stone

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a rock like that, a D-8 building a road on my land uncovered it near a spring, totally out of place from the rocks around it, however there were no other artifacts found in that location. Closest flaked artifacts were along the creek by the house, about a half mile away. There is no way to prove my find is an artifact, but it's still interesting enough that I'm going to keep it. Tomorrow I'll try and post a photo, and hopefully we'll get an answer from someone that knows.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say how the edges look it's more than likely a pecking stone.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grinding stone for a metate.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got one like that, but different color.. I always thought it was a grinding, or smoothing stone. Tony

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of the replies.

I have no back ground info on this stone either. I dont know if it was found locally (Vermont) or not. I do remember one day being out in the woods with my grandfather. I always rode on the back of the tractor. He was cutting wood and I was playing arround. I was probably 8 years old. He shut his saw off and walked over to me and handed me an indian head cent. He had just picked it up out of the middle of the skid road. I still have it today. He passed in 1981.

VPR

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking like Jeff-Gordon, it does not show enough man made wear or that man changed it for their use. It does have a few marks on it but that could have come from someone playing with it for just a little while or it being in a box of other items for years. It is a cool looking item and since it belonged to your grandfather you should keep it.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Here are a few more pics in natural sun light. Also a shot of the Indian Head that he gave my in about 1979.

VPR

Attachments

• 016_1_1.JPG
    016_1_1.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 013_1_2.JPG
    013_1_2.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 011_1_1.JPG
    011_1_1.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 010_1_3.JPG
    010_1_3.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 009_1_1.JPG
    009_1_1.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 98

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool Indian head.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone doesn't have any significant amount of wear that would be seen on a heavily used hammer stone, however it may have been used for something. Either way its nice and I would keep it for sure. The penny you have is a real beauty and since they both have history related to your grandfather that alone makes them valuable.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I think it's a hammer stone or pecking stone. I have found a few similar. They are unnaturally smooth. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417299707.911445.jpg
A couple are in this photo.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, here's the one I found. It was totally out of place, all other rocks in the area were shale, this guy is basalt, heavy for it's size, and around the center it's really polished,
way more that would be done naturally, and each end is rough, like it was used for pecking something, but not really pounding. My first thought was for it to have been sewn into a leather wrap to be used as a sap, but that doesn't answer the polished portions, and it sure looks a lot like VermontPackRat's rock, only we are about 3000 miles apart.
1.jpg Looks to be about the same size, and note the polish. The crossways scratches have the same patina as the polish.
1a.jpg The damage on this side was caused by the D-8 blade or a track running over it.
1b.jpg It's rough on the end, but not beat up.
1AA.jpg And the same with this end. Probably just a pecking stone, but ????????

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just what are you guys seeing that lead you to believe it's an artifact? I don't see any evidence of it being altered by man. No pecking or grinding on it anywhere.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not saying it was altered, it's the fact that it was found completely out of place, is polished around the middle, and the ends are rough perhaps form being used for pecking or grinding, and I still want to believe that it was possibly used as a weapon. Yellow Wolf, a Nez Perce warrior in the book Yellow Wolf His Own Story told the author, McWhorter, how the Nez Perce men made rawhide saps using a rock like this one, and it hung from their wrist all the time. I have no idea if the local Umpqua Indians did the same thing, but anything is possible, and I'm thinking VermontPackRats rock might have been used the same way. Anyhow, I can't prove if it is or isn't, and even in my mind I don't know if it's an artifact, that's why I'm posting and asking, but the rock is interesting enough to me, that I'm going to keep it and display it with my other stuff, just because of where I found it, and under the conditions it was found, no matter what the general consensuses is here. I've been hunting and collecting Indian relics for at least 70 years, and I've posted photos of my collection in the past, so bear with me, this rock is kind of unique, and perhaps someone here will be able to let Vermont and myself have an idea of what we have.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread