Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am new to this forum. Actually new to any forum. I have been artifact hunting for about 1 1/2yrs now, mainly on the farm that I grew up on and live on. I have found some decent points, at least I think so for this area of south Mississippi. I was wondering what some of you, more experienced hunters thought of my finds. Look forward to any response and advice you may have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome!

Looks like you have found some very nice artifacts! Thanks for showing them.

OP
OP
B

Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Quito, hopefully someone can enlighten me with some type and period knowledge on these.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've done very well. Really like the first one!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome BlueD!
Not great w/ s. miss. point typology, but I can see you have (in order) an auriculate ('eared') point, looks a bit used and re-sharpened. I could be wrong. The 2nd is a basal notched point. The 3rd is maybe a contracting stemmed point (or knife)- in fact, my fave of the bunch.

Here's a very basic site to get you started. LITHICS-Net - Point Types Indexed by Shape I see a couple more points you didn't show yet. But you did a nice job w/ the ones you did post. Good pics, a way to know their size, uncomplicated background. Nice job! There may be a better site for specific Miss. point and such. I'll see if I can find anything- HH! Yakker

HA I see NCPeaches beat me to it ;) :thumbsup:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your making some of us more experienced hunters drool.thanks for sharing

OP
OP
B

Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sorry, started another thread to show more pics. Couldn't figure out how to post more pics on original thread. Thanks for all your advice. NC peach, the first one(hardaway) is my favorite. I had researched it a little and thought it looked like a san Patrice, but it looks like a hardaway too.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry, started another thread to show more pics. Couldn't figure out how to post more pics on original thread. Thanks for all your advice. NC peach, the first one(hardaway) is my favorite. I had researched it a little and thought it looked like a san Patrice, but it looks like a hardaway too.

Just reply to your own thread and post away! With the smaller auricles, I lean towards San Patrice as well.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Sanchip said^^^ But you can also hit the 'edit' button down right on your post- and you can add more. Again- nice pieces! Yak

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Few more decent finds and a couple heartbreakers. I am starting to figure this think out. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice material yall have in southern Mississippi. Not too much difference from what we have over here.

OP
OP
B

Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for your nice comments and advice. I hope to find more nice pieces to share with yall. GOOD HUNTING!!!!

katdancing

Jun 16, 2012
central wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my gosh! Your collection is epic, please continue to post pics. So very happy for you. Have fun :) Kat

OP
OP
B

Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Kat, you asked for it so here are some pics of several points mostly broken from the farm. Keep in mind that this land was plowed for many yrs by grandfather and father and myself so I'm sure there are a few plow breaks. I still can't comprehend how my delicate little San Patrice survived. I have also found at least 200 pottery shards but only on one side of the spring which is a little ridge area. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im curious which direction does the ridge area face? N,W,E or south?

OP
OP
B

Bluedevil65

Greenie
Jan 12, 2015
South MS
Detector(s) used
luck
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im curious which direction does the ridge area face? N,W,E or south?

North and is fairly level on top with sandy topsoil about 100' wide and about 15-20' above spring. The sad part is my grandfather used part of that ridge 60 yrs ago to build a pond dam for livestock. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread