yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Thanks for the show- those pieces remind me of my first couple hunts- which totally sucked me into this obsessive hobby... I've never been the same since! 8-) HH! Yakker

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ranch you say?....think like a man living off the land...look for high spots on your property with the best views closest to a 360 degree view...look for debris like small flakes of chipped stone that don't belong where you see them. Walk along the dry washes and if you have junipers, consider that even though they are not all that big, they are HUNDREDS of years old and people sheltered under them. Also, find the areas where you can "dig" for water...low spots where rain collects off a rolling landscape or gullies. These are the areas you should concentrate on. Also consider what a wounded animal would do...where would it go...

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Welcome. Nice finds especially the metate. Nice assortment of material used for points and drill bits. Unclemac gave you some good pointers. Also look on the east side of hills as they like to set up camps there to enjoy more sun.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Welcome. Nice finds especially the metate. Nice assortment of material used for points and drill bits. Unclemac gave you some good pointers. Also look on the east side of hills as they like to set up camps there to enjoy more sun.

good point!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
In the S/W, the east side of hills are where we find most of our camp sites. I was told by experience hunters the sun was the reason for that. And as my wife says to me, "you didn't figure out that on your own" !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JC1

Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ranch you say?....think like a man living off the land...look for high spots on your property with the best views closest to a 360 degree view...look for debris like small flakes of chipped stone that don't belong where you see them. Walk along the dry washes and if you have junipers, consider that even though they are not all that big, they are HUNDREDS of years old and people sheltered under them. Also, find the areas where you can "dig" for water...low spots where rain collects off a rolling landscape or gullies. These are the areas you should concentrate on. Also consider what a wounded animal would do...where would it go...

Unclemac, I was curious about the high spots. Why did they like to camp there. When I'm up on those high spots it seems like the wind is always blowing and it's kinda miserable. To me, I'd much rather camp down in a canyon with some shelter from the wind, or maybe some shade etc. I know everyone is going to say they wanted to keep a watch, but what were they watching for? It doesn't seem to me they were opportunistic hunters, it seems they would have known whatever game they were after intimately and would have gone out on organized hunts rather than just, ohh look, some game came into the valley lets go get it. I do see a significant amount of debitage and activity along the high bluffs along the river, so you are right about your places to look.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Unclemac, I was curious about the high spots. Why did they like to camp there. When I'm up on those high spots it seems like the wind is always blowing and it's kinda miserable. To me, I'd much rather camp down in a canyon with some shelter from the wind, or maybe some shade etc. I know everyone is going to say they wanted to keep a watch, but what were they watching for? It doesn't seem to me they were opportunistic hunters, it seems they would have known whatever game they were after intimately and would have gone out on organized hunts rather than just, ohh look, some game came into the valley lets go get it. I do see a significant amount of debitage and activity along the high bluffs along the river, so you are right about your places to look.

yes very much to keep watch, for both people and game and just to have something to look at...think how you sit down in front of the TV with no real plan, you are just watching. It was described to me this way by and Anthropologist I used to date in the olden days...she was talking about natives, head hunters really, in New Guinea. If a you caught a stranger in your area you killed him without thinking twice about it because he was there ONLY for one of three reasons, to kill you, to steal your food resources, or to steal your women. And if you caught him he would be expecting death too because he would do the exact same thing to you if he caught you.

Now of course not all tribes were as aggressive or numerous or powerful or organized...but an underling suspicion or "the other" pervades all peoples in all cultures. In America we have a pretty obvious "Black/White" divide (among other divides) but look at Iraq and the Shia/Sunni divide....both Muslim, both Arab, both Iraqi, they even have the SAME NAMES....but they will circle up the wagons a kill each other at the drop of a hat. This is the concept of "the other"...and EVERY country or people share it.

too much info, I know, sorry....

...on a side note....keeping your eyes peeled in sheltered areas may be a good idea too. If your area is windy all the time a wind break is shelter in itself.

...also what I mean by high spot is not the summit of the tallest hill....but look for this....a hill top on the SIDE of a taller hill, a sort of peninsula as it were. Maybe not a 360 view but a good 270 or so with more protection from the winds.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Camping on high spots also kept them dry and out of any water whether it be standing or running. A couple of hundred years ago a stream/creek could have been a river and a pond could have been a lake.

I was at a metal detecting show and spoke with a guy from Wisconsin who was a detector rep. about detecting for copper artifacts at the Wisconsin/Michigan border. He had over 200 copper artifacts. He told me to detect 100' to 200' away from the waters edge as 200 years ago that is where the waters edge used to be. And that area he was referring to will put me in a swamp.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, ive always wanted to look for artifacts in Utah.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Like the patina on them, looks like they have laying out in the elements for quite some time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread