Pottery Shard with a hole

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent most of the day in the creek, went upstream for a good ways and found just glass so thought I'd take a break about 3:50 and then went back in only down stream this time and raked some sand bars on the bends. Glad I did because this nice shard rolled up and then right after a small flake, I'm not sure on the flake like it could be a broken point but it's hard to tell. Anyway, I had almost given up on finding anything so I'm happy to have another shard with a hole 8-) Also, it's a rim.
Front side WP_20150125_001.jpg
Flip side WP_20150125_002.jpg
WP_20150125_005.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics and a nice piece with designs and a drilled piece at that. You would think with all the pottery I find there could be just 1 with a drilled hole. Nice find

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. You think the hole was for cordage?

That's what I was told yesterday by an archeologist when he was looking at one I found last year. I've read that sometimes there were repair pots and these were laced on with cords. This shard is almost flat and I have another just like it without the hole that is flat as well so now I'm speculating on was the pot really large or what style pot would have almost flat sides.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, making your afternoon well spent! Here's one I picked up 25 or 30 years ago in my county "Fulton" ILLINOIS. The holed piece and the handled one above right made me a hunter. If memory serves the local archaeologist called it all Yankeetown pottery. Most amazing thing is: everything in the picture and a bunch more smaller pieces were all picked up in a plowed field same day. How the biggest piece escaped the plows and cultivation is baffling. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422235800.809691.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422235829.566239.jpg

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice Mark Todd...I know how one shard can turn you into a hunter, the same thing happened to me March almost 2 yrs ago after finding a real nice one in the creek and now I have 200+ shards and some stone points and tools too. I'm officially hooked on hunting anything artifact and can never get enough.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pottery- and explanation ;) Yakker

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn'the ask for a nicer shard of fabric marked pottery, Peaches.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NCpeaces, now I'm going to make you laugh, at me that is. I meant to type "made me a happy hunter". But the irony is that I did have the same kind of one time experience and hooked for life that you related. Hope I don't bore you with a story and another pic. It was in 1973or74,I was hunting morels (mushrooms) in a ravine on our Spoon River bluff property and needed to cross a freshly moldboard plowed field to get to the next ravine. The piece in the picture is of course what I found "THE HOOK"! You know. It looked like someone had washed it up in the creek and then pressed it into the plow slab just hard enough that it wouldn't fall back off. Best of luck to you! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422238886.710676.jpg

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark Todd, not boring at all and love your story! I can certainly see how that one hooked you and I should say hook, line and sinker at that...we are never the same after :laughing7:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches I have read of some pots that where larger than 3ft across and that is so cool that you found the matching piece:thumbsup:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Persistence pays off! Good to see that you were able to find a matching piece. Good Going! :icon_thumleft:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: How wonderful Peaches!!! I was just peeking in Tnet before going to bed & saw this....so of course had to log in and say "Congrats" on the super find. Plus a matching piece.....so happy for ya! :)

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
That is a nice find Peaches. I have found one piece with a hole in it in all the years I've hunted.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. A hole in the rim does make one stop and think! I mean they did make handles too. I guess what ever they wanted?

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. A hole in the rim does make one stop and think! I mean they did make handles too. I guess what ever they wanted?

Yeah and I've been speculating and searching all week trying to figure it out lol ... going back to that spot after work today for bout an hour and see if I missed anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread