Questions about digging.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Indiana, so I don't know if it is even legal on private property, if it's not, then just yell at me and I will respect the law.

The land is where my parents house is located. There are two creeks that meet just to the north of our house (maybe 1000 feet)to become one creek. One of the creeks is directly in my parents back yard, just down a hill. The area we live is well above flood level and close to a water source that has probably been around a long time. Pictured below are what I found just laying on top of the ground as a kid growing up. I never went out looking for them. I would just be out playing with friends and look down and see one laying on top of the ground after a heavy rain or something. I can only remember where two were found, but I know they were all found in my yard. My dad told me that the black one was found whole when he tilled the garden and that I broke it when I was younger. I also recall one of my neighbor's dads finding a nice large bluish flint point when he went down to the creek one day.

I tried walking the creek this weekend but had no luck finding anything other than a 1950s coke bottle made in my hometown.

Does anyone think this would be a worthy place to maybe square off a 5'x5' section and dig and screen it all? How deep would I have to go?

Thanks.

The bread bag tie is just there for size reference. Everyone else was asleep and I didn't want to wake them while rooting around for a coin.

ChildhoodFinds.JPG

Upvote 0

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
I would say if the ones you found were on top of the ground you wouldnt have to dig very deep. but it also depends on how many times that creek has flooded since you found those pieces . banks of a water source are a great place to look. A lot of time you can dig down until you start finding flint chips and then then you have a better idea how deep .

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
I would think the best area would be at the point where the two creeks come together just above the flood plain. Turn over a few shovel fulls here and there until you see flint flakes then work on that area. I once found over fifty good points at a spot like that and most were in the top three feet. good luck

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the spot of land where I would be digging is the high point above the flood plain where the two creeks meet. I will try and see what happens in the coming weeks.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Dang, I wish I had a place like that to look.

Good luck.

Burt

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found out it's not legal to dig for artifacts in Indiana. Guess, I'll just dream about it, haha.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dig for artifacts, I would do some "landscaping".

There are hundreds of thousands of artifacts stored (hidden) away in museums now, never to be seen by the public.

The government should not have the right to tell us we can't dig on the land that is privately owned by Americans. Even worse then the Florida laws that now makes it illegal to pick up artifacts found in rivers and streams.

I MISS HUNTING INDIAN ARTIFACTS IN MISSOURI'S RIVERS, CREEKS AND STREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Don't dig for artifacts, I would do some "landscaping".

There are hundreds of thousands of artifacts stored (hidden) away in museums now, never to be seen by the public.

The government should not have the right to tell us we can't dig on the land that is privately owned by Americans. Even worse then the Florida laws that now makes it illegal to pick up artifacts found in rivers and streams.

I MISS HUNTING INDIAN ARTIFACTS IN MISSOURI'S RIVERS, CREEKS AND STREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100%. I hate thinking about all of the artifacts that are tucked away in basements of museums, universities, etc. They should be in the hands of the collector who will enjoy them and proudly have them on display.

It's a shame.

finderofpoints

Mar 31, 2007
S.E. Louisiana
Hell, i say dig,dig and dig some more ( just keep looking over your shoulder as you do !!) ;D Seriously, what and who are we really hurting by simply picking up something that would otherwise be lost forever ?? Man, DIG !!

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My thoughts exactly dig. Now I aint gonna raise marijuana in my yard or make whisky(naw, I may do that) but I will dig in my yard untill the world looks flat. There is to much bad stuff going on to have someone driving around looking to see how many people are digging for Indian artifacts. Specialy if you live out in the country. Dig, dig, dig and just be quiet about it...d2

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

And don't forget the repatriation act....that forces collections to be returned to their "tribe or origin"......most cannot be definitely ascertained, but they claim the relics nonetheless. The relics are in some cases then sold to the highest bidder rather than reburied as is the letter of the law. More political correctness gone awry.

Relics are a treasure to be displayed and enjoyed. A link to our past and connection to those we might consider primitive by today's standards, but were artisans without peer and craftsmen unequaled today except by a select few. Hiding them in the basements of museums, reburying them in the ground and otherwise removing them from circulation is a loss to all.

Being a card carrying member of the Louisiana Cherokee Confederacy, I am not insensitive to the wishes of Native American people not wanting skeletal remains to be shown on public display...those should be re-interred in proper burial grounds and cemeteries. Confiscation of relics and what are classified as "grave goods"...a term that cant be easily quantified,is a little more government control than I am comfortable with.

The sad thing is that it all revolves around money...from both sides. If the relics had no monetary value, I grant you few would care one way or the other. Because the trade in relics is now big business, everyone is out for their piece of the pie.

To be fair, because of the trade in relics, many valuable sites are being destroyed by looters. There are ways to deal with those that don't call for a complete moratorium to relic collecting, but these are rarely pursued. Blanket legislation seems the only avenue in today's climate and the public always loses in that scenario.

Atlantis

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Hey it's your property. I say go digging for bottles in the creekbed and well if you happen on an arrowhead, so be it. Keep it. It's yours, who's to say how you found it.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Time to put in a garden... ;D Of course you'll want to sift the dirt in the garden area to remove rocks and properly condition the soil... and you may want to move the garden from year to year so as not to wear it out.. ::) ;D

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
You can put in a garden in Indiana... ::) Seriously, some people just want to turn you into a paranoid freak. There aren't people driving around checking back yards for signs of illegal digging.. as long as you aren't going to the local park or well known indian sites and digging fox holes you're not going to get bothered IMO.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i would just dig screw the law, i hate the fact of wasting artifacts, now that we will never see because of no digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread