Does anyone have any crescents?

JC1

Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting article on crescents. Too bad you can't read the whole thing. I never knew about them. Probably walked over dozens. I looked through my bucket of flint and maybe I have a couple I picked up for some reason.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...0CCkQ6AEwAzge#v=onepage&q=great basin&f=false 1.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Discoveries on the Channel Islands a few years ago pushed back the age of crescents. Many theories as to their usage....

BBC News - Island tool finds show early settlers' diversity

California islands give up evidence of early seafaring: Numerous artifacts found at late Pleistocene sites on the Channel Islands -- ScienceDaily

"The technologies involved suggest that these early islanders were not members of the land-based Clovis culture, Erlandson said. No fluted points have been found on the islands. Instead, the points and crescents are similar to artifacts found in the Great Basin and Columbia Plateau areas, including pre-Clovis levels at Paisley Caves in eastern Oregon that are being studied by another UO archaeologist, Dennis Jenkins."

Paleo crescents are very rare finds in the Great Basin. Of the pieces you show, I'm not sure which may be and which may not be. But they will be extremely finely made in general, and hunters out there consider them rare and prized finds from all I've heard and seen.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one made from quartz I found.

Attachments

• 100_2083.JPG
    100_2083.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 109

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive gotten a couple but only the 1 made from quartz. Here is another made from black flint but not as pronounced as the quartz one.

Attachments

• 100_4065.JPG
    100_4065.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 82

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember reading? or hearing someone talking about which artifacts really got him pumped- were they the Folsoms? Clovis? And he said 'crescents'.. reason being they were so much more rare than the points associated with that time period. Maybe I was at the Smithsonian... at any rate, he added that his audience at the time was non-plussed. They just didn't get it. I will say from what I've seen myself (in displays), crescents are true things of beauty and craftsmanship. Yakker

OP
OP
J

JC1

Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember reading? or hearing someone talking about which artifacts really got him pumped- were they the Folsoms? Clovis? And he said 'crescents'.. reason being they were so much more rare than the points associated with that time period. Maybe I was at the Smithsonian... at any rate, he added that his audience at the time was non-plussed. They just didn't get it. I will say from what I've seen myself (in displays), crescents are true things of beauty and craftsmanship. Yakker

None of mine are crescents by the way. I learned that after I posted this, but I'll sure keep my eye out for them from now on. Thanks for all the posts. Fascinating little things.

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Likewise, mine is far from a true crescent. I think we will find many crescent, or in the case of mine a kidney bean, shaped tools just because of the ergonomic (sp?) design. The true ones aren't found in Appalachian creeks, at least not mine! Here's another of similar shape: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422930692.907611.jpg

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few I had pics of. Happy day when you find one.

Attachments

• P1020978.JPG
    P1020978.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 85

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice welsbury. I will have to study these some more. Great post.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
croissant.jpg

Ohhhh, you mean crescent.

Sorry, I just had to do it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
often associated with water (dry lake beds)....or butter (as in above)

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's a crier that "might of been, could of been"a crescent I found. Probably was crescent shaped, but not the type of crescent being studied in the afore mentioned articles, otherwise this would kind of screw up their hypothesis, since I'm a thousand miles from the Pacific coast. I'm guessing bigger than what they're showing the site pics. That white one with rip teeth is awesome looking! Interesting thread. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread