Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend sent me this today...

Rich I'm going to quote you some info on fire-starters from the Dictionary of Prehistoric Indian Artifacts of the American Southwest by Franklin Barnett.

" A firestart was made from a large unworked chunk of granite or other hard stone. It has a pitted surface consisting of a series of small holes 1 to 2 inches in diameter by 5/32 to 1/2 inch deep. Some pieces have only a few holes, while others may have as many as 14 to 16.
Small chips of wood or wood dust were placed in a hole. A hardwood stick was inserted, and by rotating the stick rapidly a small smoldering fire was generated. This was transferred to a previously prepared firepit or fireplace.
While these pieces are designated firestarts,it is also suggested that the series of small holes were made for the purpose of mixing pulverized stone or mineral paint pigment using each hole for a different color."

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Rich in Houston said:
A friend sent me this today...

Rich I'm going to quote you some info on fire-starters from the Dictionary of Prehistoric Indian Artifacts of the American Southwest by Franklin Barnett.

" A firestart was made from a large unworked chunk of granite or other hard stone. It has a pitted surface consisting of a series of small holes 1 to 2 inches in diameter by 5/32 to 1/2 inch deep. Some pieces have only a few holes, while others may have as many as 14 to 16.
Small chips of wood or wood dust were placed in a hole. A hardwood stick was inserted, and by rotating the stick rapidly a small smoldering fire was generated. This was transferred to a previously prepared firepit or fireplace.
While these pieces are designated firestarts,it is also suggested that the series of small holes were made for the purpose of mixing pulverized stone or mineral paint pigment using each hole for a different color."
how true I was going to say a paint bowl of some kind . I have something like it still with a red stain in it. B ut a firestarter could well be too ohio river hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions