Northeastern Ohio Arrowhead Collection

stevenjschwartz09

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I have a arrowhead collection that I inherited from my father a few weeks ago. He collected arrowheads for 30-40 years, and found almost every single one he had in the northeastern ohio area. The reason I am posting today is that I am curious on if any of the heads he found were valuable or of high quality. I have no intent on ever selling these, but will infact display them proudly in home as a memory to something he loved. I am not looking for someone to pore over each and every one, but figured that some of the folks here would be much more knowledgable than myself. I have gone through his collection and pulled out the nicer and more intact looking heads, and photographed those seperately. Any and all help is appreciated!

1. URssGNs.jpg

2. ZcvQyAi.jpg

3. 5kIsKI7.jpg

4. tQziXzT.jpg

5. mRr45xJ.jpg

6. kQJU3hJ.jpg

7. lqne31S.jpg

8. AUuw1BS.jpg

9. wrVG0aj.jpg

There are probably another 75-100 fragments of arrowheads in his collection, but these seemed to be the better ones. Having only found one arrowhead in my life, I just do not know much about them, so if anyone has some interesting facts about these I would love to hear them. I know the majority of his were found while hunting in fields and woods. Thanks to everyone who takes a look!

Sincerely,

Steven

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net. Can you post the pics here or are they all hosted by imur? Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
S

stevenjschwartz09

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much!

Uploaded the pictures now.

Last edited:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome collection! So glad you are honoring him by keeping and displaying his collection and I hope someday my boys will do the same with my finds. Thank you for sharing them with us and welcome to the site!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Steven, how close to Solon? My Father has found about 20 of them here.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks, hopefully my father will leave them for me, all of the farm fields around here are long gone and now housing developments so I have yet to find one, he also found his back in the day when he was a kid hunting.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Nice collection, great to see your holding on to it.
Those are all what we refer to as "field grade" points...honestly don't see anything worth much except for the large axe and maybe a few of the smaller celts (ungrooved axes)... the large black point looks to be a very nice Plano Complex Lanceolet and is approx. 10,000 years old! Might be worth something if someone wanted it, too bad it's broken.

OP
OP
S

stevenjschwartz09

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for information, that paticular point seemed to be quite nice compared to the others. Yes, it's very unfortunate that is in pieces, but it will still look nice on the wall!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold on to them, the longer you have them the more in value they will become to you and who ever you pass them on to, because they where your dad's. Welcome to T-net:hello:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That is a very nice collection. I wonder how many different sites they are from.

If it were mine, I would be sending that black lanceolate to dr. Gomer for a get together.

OP
OP
S

stevenjschwartz09

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd imagine quite a few different sites; he hunted and hiked all over the place. What do you mean by Dr. Gomer?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Gomer has a company called lithic art restoration. He could put that together so well you likely wouldn't be able to tell it had been broke by looking at it. Here is an example he did for me.

DSCN0763.JPG DSCN2741.JPG

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice collection!! Glad to hear you're going to keep them, and pass them along. I hate seeing posts on different forums saying, My Dad left me this and I want to make a buck off of it. Tony

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice amount and variety of tools and points. I like the fact that many of these look re-worked, showing that they were used for a long time and each one has its own story. Of course a farmers plow can 're-work' a point sometimes. They all look pretty consistent with that part of Ohio, the single colored flint. Just think the Plano may have been used to hunt animals that have gone extinct. Every time I find a point I take a moment and try imagine a person making it and what it may have been used to hunt. Thanks for sharing with us.

OP
OP
S

stevenjschwartz09

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information Quito, I may look into that. I am currently in the process of refinishing the display they are on; my father put that board together in 1981.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleberry stole all of my words I had... So I'll just ditto his post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread