monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had a chance to go back and dig out the holes in the clay bed of this creek since last year, but it was worth the wait. I worked for about 3 hrs. and man was the water cold, it felt like putting your hand down in a ice chest. creek finds 3-29-15 004.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 005.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 006.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 007.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 008.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 009.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 010.JPG I may have shown this creek bottom before but this is what it looks like. Its mother natures artifact trap and it goes a long way down the creek and some holes are so deep, I can't reach the bottom with my arm. creek finds 3-29-15 003.JPG This is all the area that I could cover, it takes some time digging out these holes, because the stuff in the bottom gets packed down. creek finds 3-29-15 011.JPG If you can find one of these bayonets buy it because it's this best artifact hunting tool I have ever had. I have used this one for over 30yrs and carry it ever time I go hunting, along with my Larson flipping stick. creek finds 3-29-15 012.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure the heavier material in those holes isn't there from the hole opening up around the material? I just can't see decent size points made of dense material flying on down the stream and landing in a hole.... really thin ones that are small I could see skimming down the river a ways.
I'm still trying to figure out those holes gas bubbles maybe.

All I can tell you is that it is the same clay layer that you find prehistoric animal remains in and the material you speak of is in a layer above the clay(it is an iron deposit) that turns to round balls from flowing down the creek.. Any creek in this part of Ms. that has a clay bottom will have these holes, I don't understand how they are made, I just know they have always been great to find stuff in. It's weird some will be the size of your thigh and deeper than you can reach down in or has big has a basketball and only 1ft deep. The clay around the holes feels like it is hard and set up like limestone, I don't understand it but I would like to know how and why. I may talk to some state folks and pick their brain. One other thing is you can see the water depth in the photos, but let it rain just 2in and it will get 6ft deep and rolling water like a giant washing machine.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh I missed seeing this, been missing a lot lately....really nice finds monsterrack, love the pictures and the fact you mentioned "Larson". :icon_thumleft:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinkin' the same thing Dennis. You just might try passin' your metal detector over what you take out of those holes. You just might be pleasantly surprised!!
That the way to do it! :thumbsup: I have heard a few stories about finding a good amount of gold in those creek/river holes, but not sure you have gold down there in ''ole'' miss.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really neat, the creeks around here have sand and mud bottoms and any artifact in them is under several feet of sand or mud. I have been over in Alabama with a friend of mine and we looked in creeks like that and found Tallhatta Quartsite points I holes like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread