Island arrowheads

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted so I thought I would share my most recent river finds. These are all from two days of digging/sifting on my buddy's island. We dug roughly two feet down and 5 feet across. It amazed me how many were not broken. I am used to finding a hundred broken points before finding one whole. It was the complete opposite here. We only found a few reduction flakes and broken pieces. The rest were whole or barely damaged, over 25 points between the two of us. The 3 in my hand are the largest I ever found. Any info on them would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

island arrowheads 2.jpg island arrowheads.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, awesome returns for the time spent, congrats! I'm also interested in how you decided to dig where you did, getting ready to rake some sand & gravel bars myself.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't mind being shipwrecked on that Island.........for awhile. Great finds! The fact that you've only done 2' x 5' makes me believe that you have only scratched the surface.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice returns. You got some great pieces there.
For all those that dig which I cant due to the laws we now have. The soil is the key as in the color change.

OP
OP
P

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I usually dig where ever it looks like rocks roughly the same size of artifacts were deposited by the moving water. There is a spot on the island where water flows through during high water and this carved a ditch out about 15 ft wide and 10 ft deep at some spots. So nature already did a lot of the work for us. We dug on the bottom of this about ten ft above a choke point where we could see some smaller rocks on the surface. I believe there is a lot of artifacts on the main part of the island but it seems you would have to dig 10 to 15 ft down before you hit any rocks. The downstream end of an island is always a great place to dig too since a lot of the sand and ground gets washed away from the point and leaves just the rocks.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, that's good info. I grew up near a river and remember seeing places like that. Now I am thinking about all the opportunities that I missed. Tony
Thanks everyone! I usually dig where ever it looks like rocks roughly the same size of artifacts were deposited by the moving water. There is a spot on the island where water flows through during high water and this carved a ditch out about 15 ft wide and 10 ft deep at some spots. So nature already did a lot of the work for us. We dug on the bottom of this about ten ft above a choke point where we could see some smaller rocks on the surface. I believe there is a lot of artifacts on the main part of the island but it seems you would have to dig 10 to 15 ft down before you hit any rocks. The downstream end of an island is always a great place to dig too since a lot of the sand and ground gets washed away from the point and leaves just the rocks.

Montgomery

Sep 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Lower Susquehanna Bare Island, Pequa and Duncan's Island blades! Looks like a lot of nice rhyolite quarried primarily in Adams and Franklin Counties. Super finds.

Kindest regards,

Monty

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Types nailed down on the last post!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are beautiful! Thanks for the show ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread