Anyone able to identify?

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
had a great day hunting for NC native points today. Found the small one within 5 min of starting the hunt. I think its a hardaway side-knotched dating back about 9000 years....If thats the case the condition is amazing.... its razor sharp. If anyone can identify them please do. The spear point on the right came about 2 minutes later only about 35 ft away AND its my first quartz point....at first I thought it was granite but its a dirty looking quartz. These are some of my best finds as of yet. Also found a bird point, a nice scrapper, some broken points and filled a gallon jug full of pottery chunks. Hoping for rain as one of my favorite fields has just been plowed.

IMG_20150411_133412_338.jpg IMG_20150411_171001_519.jpg IMG_20150411_170335_616.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Those are awesome! Here's a link to help identify them North Carolina State Arrowhead Identification Guide Also could you post some pics of the pottery? What part of NC do you live in? Wish I could find a gallon jug of shards in one day, I'm lucky if I find one, today I found 2 and worked all day trying to find them lol

That real pretty little one might be a Lecroy http://www.lithicsnet.com/lecroy.htm and I'm leaning towards Savannah River for the spear points. Both early Archaic.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points the dirty quartz is called Quartzite.

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I carry an identification chart with me and I also came up with late paleo/early archiac periods. I googled hardaway point and could not find a pic of one that looked this good. Most are beaten up. There are places where the pottery is everywhere. I am in middle NC. I will post some of the pottery pics in the next couple days. I will also post pics of a celt I found a couple weeks ago i
One of my buddies thought the small one might be petrified wood.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice finds, esp the first one. Hardaway looks right on for the first point and Hardaway points are shown as Early Archaic period. The spear point - Savannah River (Late Archaic) maybe?

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one the base doesn't look right to me to be a Hardaway.The Hardaway's I have seen have expanding auricle's .The base on that one looks lobed,or bifurcated.Of course I could be wrong.My guess would be it is a Culpepper bifurcate or a South Hampton?,which would put it around the same time period as a Hardaway.Beautiful point what ever it is.Very nice finds,that large blade is a killer find.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into 'Pickwick' also for the large pieces.not sure but very similar also

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. I believe i would call the first picture a bifurcated Kirk and Savannah river for the other 2. The picture I posted has a bifurcated kirk on the far left that I found a few years ago in NC.
20140217_065214-1.jpg

Last edited:

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
DigIron2 I see what you are saying, I am inclined to agree. Out of my area so I was just guessing. Thanks for pointing out auricle difference.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very confusing sometimes.So many types and forms,locations.Guess it just adds to the fun.

Last edited:

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are finding that much pottery and all these nice artifacts I would be digging/poking the ground in that area. Nice artifact saves and thanks for the pics......

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice points,wonder if they may be kirk related?thanks for sharing

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first one the base doesn't look right to me to be a Hardaway.The Hardaway's I have seen have expanding auricle's .The base on that one looks lobed,or bifurcated.Of course I could be wrong.My guess would be it is a Culpepper bifurcate or a South Hampton?,which would put it around the same time period as a Hardaway.Beautiful point what ever it is.Very nice finds,that large blade is a killer find.

I noticed it was not an exact match also. I really cant find a picture of one on google that looks the same. The Culpepper bifurcate has more similar base but the side points are different.
My boss is on notice when it dries out here for a day... I gotta get back out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_20150417_004615_142.jpg

Heres the pic of the pottery chunks I promised I'd post.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Thinking St. Albans on the one and Savannah River on the others. Lecroy points bifurcated bases tend to be aligned verticle and don't flare towards the corners if that makes sense.

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG! so cool! and you say you found all of them in the same area? totally awesome! Thank you for posting them.

yeah this was all found in an area the size of a couple basketball courts.... in one day. The rain has been relentless and I have been laid up with the flu on the only dry days... my luck. I told my buddy today I am like a drug addict who cant get his fix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread